Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Daniel Craig Is the Ultimate Action Hero in New James Bond Spectre Trailer
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- Taraji P. Henson Apologizes for Accusing Police of Racially Profiling Her Son
- Heroes Among Us: After a Tragic Loss, Man Gives Sick Kids the Gift of Music
- Sam Worthington and Lara Bingle Welcome a Son
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 08, 2004
- Vol. 61
- No. 9
Accessories to a Crime
Women Across the Country Are Flocking to Purse Parties to Buy Knockoff Bags
She's not talking Tupperware. The goodies that will go on sale here are fake versions of designer handbags that normally sell for hundreds and even thousands of dollars in retail outlets. But at purse parties like the Feb. 10 affair at Anna's house, women are snatching up fake Fendis and Kate Spades for far less. "These purses will fall apart in six months," says one guest, Deanna, 38, while inspecting wares that a supplier had bought from a dealer in Los Angeles. But at $25 a bag, who cares?
Well, legitimate manufacturers, for one. While exact figures are hard to pinpoint, industry experts estimate they are losing millions of dollars a year to counterfeit merchandise. And as gatherings like the one in Anna's living room have become increasingly common, police in several cities have begun to crack down. "Purse parties are exploding," says Philadelphia private investigator Stuart Drobny, who has seized $150 million worth of counterfeits for high-end designers. "These women don't think it's a big deal. But it's a crime."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!