- They're Getting So Big! Gwyneth Paltrow Shares Adorable Photo with Kids Apple and Moses
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Liam Hemsworth on His Relationship Status with Miley Cyrus: People Will 'Figure It Out'
- DeKoding KarJenner Style: Why Kendall Jenner Is All About the 'Mood' Caption on Instagram
- WATCH: An Ultra-Slimming Maxi, Just in Time for Summer
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- April 19, 2004
- Vol. 61
- No. 15
Walking It Off
It's 1,200 Miles from Jacksonville to Boston, but Anti-Fat Crusader (and Aspiring Thin Guy) Gary Marino Is Taking It in Stride
He's making up for it: 130 lbs. thinner, thanks to a low-carb diet and exercise (key ingredient: walking), Marino has set off on a Million Calorie March from Jacksonville, Fla., to Boston. Along with losing another 70 lbs., he hopes the walk—80 days, 1,200 miles—will raise awareness about obesity as well as cash for Generation Excel, his fat-fighting foundation. "There are walks, jogs for all kinds of diseases," the 38-year-old entertainment entrepreneur says, "but not much is being done for obesity"—the No. 2 preventable killer. To date Marino has received $115,000 in corporate and individual donations.
Overweight since childhood in Medford, Mass., Marino has a less tangible goal as well. "I want people who've never struggled with obesity," he says, "to have compassion for those who have."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!