Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Kristen Stewart and Nicholas Hoult Try to Resist Their Feelings in Clip from Sci-Fi Drama Equals
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Khloé Kardashian Feels Conflicted About Her Exes: 'If People Are Destructive to You Emotionally, That Still Doesn't Mean You Can't Love Them'
- Mother-in-Law of Murdered Texas Fitness Instructor Shares Love Story Between Her Son and Daughter-in-Law: 'She Was Definitely the One'
- WATCH: Jennifer Holliday Surprises The View's Whoopi Goldberg with Superstar Co-Host Karaoke Performance of 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 31, 2004
- Vol. 61
- No. 21
It's All in the Delivery
Denis Leary's Wife, Ann, Turns the Tale of Her Son's Birth into a Comic Memoir
As her baby Jack struggled to survive after being born 12 weeks premature, Ann, now 41, learned plenty more about British starch—and her own strength. She reflects on those harrowing six months in 1990 in her first book, equal parts heartfelt and humorous. "It took me a long time to get to a place where it wasn't too emotional for me to tell the story," she says. "I didn't want to tell a heart-wrenching tale. I wanted to tell the funny tale I think I ended up telling."
As Jack, born at a mere 2 lbs. 6 oz., slowly gained strength in a London neonatal unit, Ann bunked in the nurses' dormitory and Denis hit the road for stand-up gigs to make ends meet. When he was away, "the only person I knew in this whole country was this tiny baby," says Ann, who coped with exhaustion, culture clashes and everyday absurdities. She fell asleep during a haircut, only to awake with a nightmarish do. She obsessed that fellow moms saw her as a "loser with a weird accent." She envied the svelte figure of one new mother—who turned out to be a heroin addict. "It was almost a comedy of errors," she says.
Denis, 46 (who next stars in the FX drama series Rescue Me), encouraged the full-time mom to write. "I'd overhear her telling stories about the experience," he says. One interested reader: Jack, now a healthy 14. "It's hard to believe," he says, "that I was once so small."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!