Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Michael Jackson Molestation Lawsuit Is Thrown Out by Judge
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Kylie Jenner Puts Pregnancy Rumors to Rest: 'Clearly I'm Not'
- D.C. Mansion Murder Suspect's Father: 'We Hope Whoever Committed These Crimes Will Suffer the Consequences'
- Jenny Lewis's Cheeky New Video References Everything from Troop Beverly Hills to Golden Girls: Watch!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 09, 2006
- Vol. 65
- No. 1
Keeping It Off
Cover Girl Dacia Gilkey Has Stayed Slender—and Feels Great
To fight her body's impulse to hold on to every calorie, Gilkey, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation communications analyst, keeps close tabs on the scale. “If I gain 2, 3 or 4 lbs., I'm at my max,” says Gilkey, 28, who once weighed 256 lbs. That's her cue to step up her five hour-long weekly workouts. “Exercise plays an important role,” in maintaining weight loss, says Dr. Aronne. Specifically, he recommends high-intensity activities such as interval training or using a treadmill on an incline, which prevents the metabolic rate from going down.
Gilkey complements her workouts with homemade meals of grilled chicken, vegetables, brown rice and salad. Recently promoted at work, she credits her new look with giving her confidence during the interview process. Could the promotion owe anything to the weight loss? Possibly. According to an Ohio State University study published in July 2005, people who significantly lowered their body-mass indexes also upped their wealth by between $4,480 and $12,720. “When you walk in a room, the first perception is physical,” notes Gilkey. “People say they don't discriminate by the way you look. but they do. They do.”
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!