Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out Which TV Star Just Called Kim Kardashian's Platinum Hair 'Jarring'
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- We Tried It: A Wacky (But Awesome) Beauty Product
- Ashton Sachs: 'I Can't Believe Somebody Killed My Parents'
- Friends Forever! Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Confirm BFF Status with Love Lock in Paris
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 15, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 16
Airport Tragedy a Troubled Mom's Mysterious Death
After An Outburst at the Phoenix Airport, Rehab-Bound Carol Anne Gotbaum Died in Police Custody. Her Family Wants to Know Why
Authorities say they followed proper procedure. But Gotbaum's prominent New York family charges police mishandled a 110-lb., emotionally frail woman who was on her way to a rehab center to deal with alcoholism. "She was treated like a criminal, an animal," says her stepmother-in-law and New York City Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum. "This never should have happened." Already the family has had another autopsy performed, though results are not available yet. "You do not shackle a sick, emotionally disturbed citizen to a bench and leave that person alone," says Michael Manning, a Phoenix attorney hired by Carol Anne's business-consultant husband, Noah, 48. Police-procedure expert Michael Lyman says it's unusual to handcuff somebody for such a minor offense but adds, "hands behind the back is pretty standard for those perceived to pose a threat." But to her family, the only threat Gotbaum posed was to herself. "She was a wonderful mother," says Betsy, who had never seen Carol Anne have a violent outburst. "She helped the children with their homework; she read to them. She wanted to get well.... Why didn't they take her to a hospital?"
- Kerri Smith/Arizona,
- Nicole Weisensee Egan/New York,
- Diane Herbst/New York,
- Maria Eftimiades/New York.
March 06, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!