Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jana Kramer Separates from Husband Mike Caussin as He Enters Rehab
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Cameron Douglas Is 'Grateful He Gets a Second Chance' After Being Released From Prison
- Hope Solo Suspended for Calling Sweden 'Cowards' After Losing at the Olympics
- Florida Father Killed During a Robbery Set Up by Woman He Met Online: Police
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 15, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 16
Airport Tragedy a Troubled Mom's Mysterious Death
After An Outburst at the Phoenix Airport, Rehab-Bound Carol Anne Gotbaum Died in Police Custody. Her Family Wants to Know Why
Authorities say they followed proper procedure. But Gotbaum's prominent New York family charges police mishandled a 110-lb., emotionally frail woman who was on her way to a rehab center to deal with alcoholism. "She was treated like a criminal, an animal," says her stepmother-in-law and New York City Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum. "This never should have happened." Already the family has had another autopsy performed, though results are not available yet. "You do not shackle a sick, emotionally disturbed citizen to a bench and leave that person alone," says Michael Manning, a Phoenix attorney hired by Carol Anne's business-consultant husband, Noah, 48. Police-procedure expert Michael Lyman says it's unusual to handcuff somebody for such a minor offense but adds, "hands behind the back is pretty standard for those perceived to pose a threat." But to her family, the only threat Gotbaum posed was to herself. "She was a wonderful mother," says Betsy, who had never seen Carol Anne have a violent outburst. "She helped the children with their homework; she read to them. She wanted to get well.... Why didn't they take her to a hospital?"
- Kerri Smith/Arizona,
- Nicole Weisensee Egan/New York,
- Diane Herbst/New York,
- Maria Eftimiades/New York.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!