- Judge Finalizes Stevie Wonder's Divorce From Second Wife
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- Shania Twain Diagnosed With Respiratory Infection, Cancels Tour Dates
- YouTube Star Caleb Logan Bratayley Remembered at Memorial Service: 'He Knew How to Light Up a Room'
- On 'Purpose'! Justin Bieber Shares Shirtless Selfie to Show Off New Tattoo
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- November 19, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 21
She Created the First Sugar-Free School
Elementary School Principal
Don't dare, as one well-meaning godmother attempted, bring frosted cupcakes to a child's birthday celebration at the Browns Mill Elementary School in Lithonia, Ga. "Our school is sugar-free," says principal Yvonne Sanders-Butler. "No sugar!" And so the cupcakes were sent away, pronto.
It was another victory for Sanders-Butler, who nixed refined sugars and revamped school lunches and physical education classes for her students in 1999. Within a year student disciplinary problems dropped, as did visits to the school nurse, while math and reading scores improved by 15 percent. Can the dietary changes take any credit? "Studies show that when you take sugar out of the diet, you will reap the benefits of a child who is more attentive," says Dr. John Maupin, president of the Morehouse School of Medicine, which is studying what Sanders-Butler calls the nation's first, and only, sugar-free school. Her crusade began in 1996, when high blood pressure sent her to the hospital. "I almost died," says the married mother of one son. "I promised God I would lead a healthier life and educate others." She changed her diet, used weights and the treadmill, and lost 60 lbs. Now, "I'd love to travel the country, revamping nutrition and fitness programs," she says. "There's a need for some extreme makeovers."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
October 06, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!