- Larry Wilmore Pulls No Punches at WHCD: 'You Look Terrible, Mr. President'
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- President Obama Skewers Trump in Final WHCD Speech: 'Is This Dinner Too Tacky for Donald?'
- Michelle Obama Goes for the Gold at Final White House Correspondents' Dinner as First Lady
- Michelle Dockery Returns to the Red Carpet for the First Time Following Fiancé's Tragic Death
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- December 03, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 23
Wayne Newton Heart Trouble
No More Dancing—At Least for Now. The Star Opens Up About His Battle with a Dangerous Cardiac Disease
The performer dubbed "Mr. Las Vegas" successfully battled the same disorder six years ago, after falling ill following a USO tour in Afghanistan, and had been feeling fine since. But his doctors told him that the disease has caused an irregular heartbeat that could lead to a heart attack if he overexerts himself. Ordered to take it easy for six to eight weeks, Newton wanted to keep performing, but his wife, Kathleen, 43, mother of their daughter Lauren, 5, drew the line. "She said, 'If you die, who is going to raise Lauren?'" So Newton canceled his two-month gig at Harrah's in Las Vegas and says he'll appear at Dancing's Nov. 27 finale alongside other eliminated contestants but won't dance: "It's like sprinting—you have to go full out." He plans to appear on the upcoming Dancing tour to croon some tunes ("I could truly do that falling out of bed") and maybe emcee. "He doesn't want to disappoint people," says Kathleen. "It means so much to him that the show will go on."
For the singer there's more to life than the stage. "We have a boat on Lake Mead, I raise Arabian horses, and I fly a helicopter," says Newton. "When people quit what they love to do, that's the end. And sitting around doing nothing is the hardest thing for me."
- Frank Swertlow/Las Vegas.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!