Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Christina Aguilera on Voice Winner Alisan Porter: 'She's the Essence of Poise and Presence'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Read PEOPLE's Original 2006 Story on the Sex Abuse Allegations Against Bill Cosby
- Questlove Defends Madonna's Prince Tribute After BET and Fans Throw Shade
- Chelsea Handler Makes Her Mark on Elizabeth Arden, Ashley Graham Creates Nail Polish Shades and More Glam Beauty News
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 05, 2005
- Vol. 64
- No. 23
A Voice in the Wilderness
Calling for Human Help but Stuck Up a Phone Tree? Inventor Paul English Cracks the Codes
Now, thanks to English's detective work, that's gotten a lot easier. Inspired by a Wall Street Journal list of 25 companies and how to beat their automated systems, he decided to do the same for dozens of other firms, posting the magic digits at his paulenglish.com. (See box, accurate at press time.) Using commonsense trial and error, "I found about 25% of the time, if you hit 0 you get someone," says English; who runs a travel Web-site based in Concord, Mass. "Other times you hit 0# or 0*. After a while you get a sense of it."
With help from some of the 1 million visitors to his site, English now has 90 companies on his cheat-sheet list—and counting. "A lot of people can curse the darkness;" says his friend Joe Mahoney, 50, a software designer. "But Paul is lighting technological candles."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!