Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Ex Chris Martin Celebrate Memorial Day Together at Star-Studded Bash in Malibu
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Demi Moore and Daughter Rumer Willis Look Like Twins in New Photo
- Kacy Catanzaro's American Ninja Warrior Premiere Blog: Starting the Season with a Showstopper
- Pope Francis Hasn't Watched Television Since 1990, Longs for Good Pizza
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 04, 2008
- Vol. 69
- No. 4
Suzanne Pleshette 1937-2008
The Bob Newhart Show Star Had a Stellar Speaking Voice, a Fierce Wit and a Surplus of Compassion
Such humor was typical of the raspy-voiced actress who, sadly, will miss her big day. Pleshette died of respiratory failure at age 70 in her L.A. home on Jan. 19, surrounded by loved ones. She had been diagnosed with lung cancer in 2006. (A longtime smoker, she quit 10 years ago.) "She fought tooth and nail," says close friend Nikki Haskell. "She was in so much pain. The war is over."
Most famous for playing Bob Newhart's sassy schoolteacher wife on The Bob Newhart Show in the '70s, Pleshette, who also appeared in a range of movies, including Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, was known among friends for her loyalty and her salty language. The Brooklyn native "could swear like a sailor yet she was very loving and caring," says Haskell. She wed third husband (an occasional Bob Newhart costar and star of the subsequent Newhart) Tom Poston in 2001—"a perfect fit," says friend Ed McMahon—and found out about her cancer less than a year before he died last April. "There's an angel on my shoulder," she wrote in her holiday card this year.
Pleshette will be buried between Poston and her second husband, Tommy Gallagher, who died in 2000. (Her first marriage, to actor Troy Donahue, lasted eight months.) The Jewish actress "got two gentiles into the [Jewish] cemetery. She was a special woman," says producer George Schlatter. And the life of the party. As friend and author Jackie Collins says, "When you saw Suzanne leave a party, it was time to go."
- Frank Swertlow/Los Angeles.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!