Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- President Obama Will Meet with Leonardo DiCaprio to Talk Climate Change at White House
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- FROM GOLF: Tiger Woods Pays Tribute to Arnold Palmer – 'It's Hard to Imagine Golf Without You'
- Ronan Farrow Pays Tribute to Brother Thaddeus After His Suicide: 'I Never Knew Anyone Stronger'
- She Said Yes! NFL Pro Larry English and WAGS' Nicole Williams Are Engaged
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 11, 2008
- Vol. 69
- No. 5
'I Was Anorexic'
Recovered from "Starvation," Kirsten Haglund Vows to Raise Eating-Disorder Awareness
In six weeks at a 2005 ballet camp, she shed 10 lbs., after already having lost 20, from a naturally thin 5'8" frame. When she came home, "I gasped," says mom Iora, a nurse, who brought her to a doctor where she was diagnosed with anorexia.
Kirsten didn't accept that she was sick. "It took six months to get me out of denial," she says. "I thought I was dieting. I was fine." But test results told another story: Her heart rate was low and her circulation and kidney function poor. She began seeing a psychologist and a nutritionist and gave up her ballet dreams. "I couldn't be in that world and be healthy," says Kirsten, who now majors in musical theater at the University of Cincinnati.
A year later, she surprised her family by entering the Miss Oakland County pageant. A beauty contest seems an odd fit for a recuperating anorexic, but Kirsten "was in recovery and felt good about herself," says Iora, whose own mom was 1944's Miss Michigan, a title Kirsten took last year. Now in the national spotlight, Kirsten wants to encourage women to "feel confident about their bodies." Anorexia, she says, "is not a pretty thing. It's awful."
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!