Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chris Rock's Estranged Wife Malaak Speaks Out About Clash Over Child She Says They Raised as Their Own
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Teresa Giudice Will Spend Thanksgiving Alone in Prison to Make Holiday as 'Normal as Possible for the Girls,' Source Says
- Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick Step Out for Lunch in Calabasas Ahead of Thanksgiving
- Mark Zuckerberg Is 'Thankful' for Family, Shares Sweet Photo of Pregnant Wife Priscilla Taken By Annie Leibovitz
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 31, 2008
- Vol. 69
- No. 12
Picks and Pans: Movies
New on DVD
If truth in movie marketing were required, all posters for Drillbit Taylor would be stamped "Laugh-free." Which is all the more disappointing given that this tedious time-waster of a comedy is produced by Judd Apatow and cowritten by Seth Rogen, the duo behind last summer's raunchalicious double bill Knocked Up and Superbad.
Taylor will appeal strictly to tweener and teen boys with its revenge-of-the-nerds plot: A trio of high school geeks (Hartley, Troy Gentile and David Dorfman) hire a homeless guy (Wilson) to protect them from bullies. Will he truly come to care about the kids or is he just out to milk them for their milk money? If the answer has you stumped, then this may be Taylor-made for you.
Adrian Alonso, Kate Del Castillo, Eugenio Derbez, America Ferrera | PG-13 |
This moving story about the unbreakable bond between a mother and son is unlikely to make Lou Dobbs's Top 10 list this year. That's because it reduces the CNN anchor's favorite punching bag issue, illegal immigration, into a simple, sweetly told tale of a 9-year-old boy's determination to reunite with his mother. Carlitos (Alonso, a sensational pint-size scene stealer) sets out alone from his rural village in Mexico for L.A., where his mom (Del Castillo) has been working off the books as a housecleaner for six years. While the storytelling in Under the Same Moon is at times manipulative, major characters are so carefully drawn and sensitively acted—and the sentiments so universal—that the film connects powerfully with viewers. Ferrera (Ugly Betty) appears briefly but effectively as an American willing to smuggle Carlitos over the border for pay.
1. He needs to pick comedies more carefully, passing on moronic soul-sappers such as Drillbit Taylor and You, Me and Dupree while opting for more Wedding Crashers (left, with Rachel McAdams).
2. There's a sharp edge to Wilson's wackiness that he needs to explore more onscreen. He could be the next Jack Nicholson.
3. He was hauntingly good in The Minus Man, a 1999 indie drama in which he played a sunny serial killer. Okay, so it was little-seen, but Wilson should challenge himself with more films like that.
The Colombia-born actress, 35, who stars in Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns and Dirty Sexy Money, is full of surprises:
SHE HAS A 16-YEAR-OLD SON, MANOLO Usually people think we're brother and sister. But sometimes they think I'm his girlfriend. He will call me "Mom" so they know.
SHE'S ACTUALLY A NATURAL BLONDE I always had really dark eyebrows; that's why I look normal with dark hair. My son says I'm the only woman in Hollywood who has blonde roots!
IN COLOMBIA, SHE ALMOST BECAME A DENTIST Teeth are the first thing I notice in guys. You can be ugly, but you need to have good teeth.
The Dawson's Creek alum, 29, dives back in for his new Tokyo-based thriller Shutter, playing a newlywed photographer haunted by a ghost.
HOW DID YOU LIKE TOKYO? It is so big. Getting lost is easy, but easily solved because most people will help you get to places. You can get by with English, pointing and begging.
SO YOU WERE ABLE TO FIND YOUR WAY AROUND? I knew the route from my hotel to the noodle house to the movie theater to the sushi joint and back to the hotel.
DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS? I've never personally had a ghostly experience. I'm plenty arrogant but not nearly arrogant enough to think that there's no possibility.
THEN WHAT SCARES YOU? Big roller coasters still scare me to death 'cause I always have that moment right before you come down, like, "Why did I do this?"
NEXT SEASON YOU'LL STAR IN A NEW FOX SCI-FI SHOW CALLED FRINGE. ARE YOU EXCITED TO PUT PACEY BEHIND YOU? Yeah, I can't play that character anymore. I'm not 19! As good as Dawson's Creek was, that's never been my kind of show. I'm a geek, and I'm coming back to geek home, so that excites me.
ATONEMENT This sweeping, Oscar-nominated romantic drama, set in WWII-era England, is about the devastating effect of a single lie on several lives. (R)
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN A suitcase full of cash brings ill to all connected in a violent crime drama by the Coen Brothers. Deserved winner of four Oscars, including Best Picture. (R)
ENCHANTED Amy Adams shows off her star power with a glowing turn as a cartoon princess come to life in this enchanting comedy. Patrick Dempsey costars. (PG)
November 23, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!