Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Paul McCartney Opens Up About Post-Beatles Depression – And How He Nearly Quit Music
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- Bill Cosby Accuser Jennifer Thompson: One of the Teens He Had Sex With was Me
- You Can Now Retweet Yourself – And 3 Other Big Changes to Twitter
- Goldie Hawn Looks Amazing at 70 on Hawaiian Beach Vacation
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 26, 2008
- Vol. 69
- No. 20
A Police Officer with a Specially Trained Dog Believes There May Be More Victims of the Manson Family
Ten years ago another dig at the Barker ranch, where Manson was captured in 1969, yielded no results. The current excavation, at different sites, stems mostly from the efforts of police Sgt. Paul Dostie, of Mammoth Lakes, Calif., and his cadaver-sniffing black Labrador, Buster. Intrigued with the case and the rumors that have swirled about possible other victims, Dostie trained 4-year-old Buster to detect decomposing bone, not just flesh—a relatively new canine science. A February 2007 search of the ranch by Buster and other dogs highlighted several potential graves. Says Debra Tate, the sister of Sharon: "Buster is outrageously talented."
Aside from curiosity, is there any practical benefit to the excavation? Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi points out that if Manson could be convicted of new murders, he could face the death penalty. "I hate to say it," says Bugliosi, but until now, "in a way Manson has beaten the rap."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!