Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Why Bruce Jenner Prefers to Go by Male Pronouns – for the Time Being
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Shane West: 'Angelina Jolie Can Put a Spell on Me Anytime'
- Prince William Takes a Break from the Royal Baby Watch to Attend a Solemn Ceremony with the Queen
- What Recently Got Bloodline Star Kyle Chandler to Bust a Move?
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 23, 2008
- Vol. 69
- No. 24
Meet Journey's New Singer
After Finding Arnel Pineda—Who Sounds Exactly Like Steve Perry—On the Net, the '80s Band Welcomed the Frontman from the Philippines with Open Arms
It wasn't. Looking to replace Journey's original singer, Steve Perry (he stopped touring with the group in 1998 after a hip injury), guitarist Neal Schon had stumbled upon Pineda's jaw-dropping concert videos on YouTube. "I couldn't believe how good he sounded live," says Schon of Pineda's dead-on Perry vocals. "I told my manager, 'I found the guy [in] Manila.' He asked, 'Does he speak English?' I said, 'When you sing like that, you don't need to!'"
For Pineda (who grilled Schon in English before realizing the offer was legit), just making it to YouTube was a miracle. His family was so poor that after his mom died when he was 13, he chose to live on the streets. "My dad had other mouths to feed—I'd be a burden," says Pineda. He slept in parks, collecting bottles and newspapers and eventually singing for money. While daunted by fans' expectations for Journey's new album, Revelation, and summer tour, Pineda knows he's living a fantasy. "Everything is a dream," he says. "The only difference is I am awake."
See Arnel Pineda sing with Journey and hear more of the band's interview at PEOPLE.COM/JOURNEYVIDEO
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!