Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- New Jersey Man Charged in Murder of His Parents After They Were Found Beaten to Death in Their Home
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Rob Lowe on After His Comedy Central Roast: 'I'm Just Glad There's Something Left of Me'
- John Krasinski on Date Nights and Raising Daughters with 'Amazing Wife' Emily Blunt: 'It's Important to Preserve Your Relationship'
- WATCH: How to Wear a Maxi Dress at Any Size, With Katie Sturino of 12ish Style
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 04, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 5
She Found Her Roots—and a Way to Help
SEARCHING FOR HER PAST: Adopted from Peru as an infant, Ana Dodson lived a privileged life, attending private school, snowboarding and riding her horse Blizzard. But she longed to see her birthplace, Cuzco, where her biological mother, Maria, had lived and died. "As early as I can remember," says Ana's adoptive mom, Judi, "Ana wanted to go back."
A DESPERATE NEED: In 2003 Judi and Ana's dad, Rocco, took 11-year-old Ana to Cuzco. There they came across the struggling Hogar Mercedes de Jesus Molina orphanage, where nuns cared for 20 girls without such basics as hot water. "It could have been me," Ana recalls thinking.
A HELPING HAND: So she took up their cause. At her bat mitzvah, instead of gifts, she asked people to donate vitamins. She also began speaking at rotary clubs and churches, and in 2003 founded Peruvian Hearts (www.peruvianhearts.org). To date she's raised $150,000, allowing the orphanage to install a hot-water system and pay private-school costs for the girls. She's also started a college scholarship fund, called Maria's Gift. "We are so thankful," says Mother Anna Yolanda, who runs the orphanage. Adds Giovana Yucra, 16, the first scholarship recipient: "Ana is my sister. She's always in my heart."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to email@example.com
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!