- VIDEO: Bindi Irwin Delivers First Perfect 10 on DWTS with Stunning Tribute to Late Father Steve Irwin
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- Cate Blanchett Calls Obsession with Social Media 'Pathetic': I Cannot Understand Why Adults Participate in 'That S---'
- Florida's Old Dog House Rescue Gives Senior Dogs a Chance at Forever Home
- Man Fends Off Grizzly Bear Using Trick His Grandmother Showed Him
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- August 04, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 5
She Found Her Roots—and a Way to Help
SEARCHING FOR HER PAST: Adopted from Peru as an infant, Ana Dodson lived a privileged life, attending private school, snowboarding and riding her horse Blizzard. But she longed to see her birthplace, Cuzco, where her biological mother, Maria, had lived and died. "As early as I can remember," says Ana's adoptive mom, Judi, "Ana wanted to go back."
A DESPERATE NEED: In 2003 Judi and Ana's dad, Rocco, took 11-year-old Ana to Cuzco. There they came across the struggling Hogar Mercedes de Jesus Molina orphanage, where nuns cared for 20 girls without such basics as hot water. "It could have been me," Ana recalls thinking.
A HELPING HAND: So she took up their cause. At her bat mitzvah, instead of gifts, she asked people to donate vitamins. She also began speaking at rotary clubs and churches, and in 2003 founded Peruvian Hearts (www.peruvianhearts.org). To date she's raised $150,000, allowing the orphanage to install a hot-water system and pay private-school costs for the girls. She's also started a college scholarship fund, called Maria's Gift. "We are so thankful," says Mother Anna Yolanda, who runs the orphanage. Adds Giovana Yucra, 16, the first scholarship recipient: "Ana is my sister. She's always in my heart."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
October 06, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!