Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 7 Days, 7 Dinners: Your Recipe Meal Planner for the Week
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- FROM EW: American Horror Story's Cheyenne Jackson Confirms He'll Be Back for Season 6
- 5 Things to Know About the Bratayleys, the YouTube Family that Faced Tragedy
- Dance Moms' Abby Lee Miller Pleads Guilty in Fraud Trial
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 06, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 14
A Chance to Play for Disabled Children
West Hartford, Conn.
Catherine Curry-Williams, 49
Los Angeles, Calif.
Amy Jaffe Barzach suffered heart-wrenching anguish when her infant Jonathan died of a neuro-muscular disease in 1995. Resolved to honor him, she found inspiration in a wheelchair-bound girl at a local park who sadly watched other kids play. "I thought, 'Shouldn't playgrounds be for everyone?'" recalls Barzach.
So she began leveling the playing field. Through bake sales and fund-raisers, she raised $500,000 to build a playground with wheelchair-accessible treehouses and waist-high sand tables. With corporate sponsorship she launched the nonprofit Boundless Playgrounds, inspiring Catherine Curry-Williams, who lost her baby to the same disease, to create Shane's Inspiration in '98 in his memory. Since then, both moms have helped build 152 playgrounds. "Our kids are in heaven," says Curry-Williams, "but this is bigger than them." Just ask Cole Massie, an 11-year-old with cerebral palsy in L.A. "Other playgrounds are hard for wheelchairs," he says. "At Shane's I can get to all areas. It's a special place."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!