Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Pregnant Jessica Biel Heads to a Roller Rink for a Birthday Party (PHOTO)
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- ALF's Series Finale Aired 25 Years Ago, but He Never Truly Left Us
- Tom Brady Gets Serious Air in Cliff Dive: 'Never Doing That Again' (VIDEO)
- Inside Kelly Clarkson and Husband Brandon Blackstock's Grown-up Date Night with Reba McEntire
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 06, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 14
A Chance to Play for Disabled Children
West Hartford, Conn.
Catherine Curry-Williams, 49
Los Angeles, Calif.
Amy Jaffe Barzach suffered heart-wrenching anguish when her infant Jonathan died of a neuro-muscular disease in 1995. Resolved to honor him, she found inspiration in a wheelchair-bound girl at a local park who sadly watched other kids play. "I thought, 'Shouldn't playgrounds be for everyone?'" recalls Barzach.
So she began leveling the playing field. Through bake sales and fund-raisers, she raised $500,000 to build a playground with wheelchair-accessible treehouses and waist-high sand tables. With corporate sponsorship she launched the nonprofit Boundless Playgrounds, inspiring Catherine Curry-Williams, who lost her baby to the same disease, to create Shane's Inspiration in '98 in his memory. Since then, both moms have helped build 152 playgrounds. "Our kids are in heaven," says Curry-Williams, "but this is bigger than them." Just ask Cole Massie, an 11-year-old with cerebral palsy in L.A. "Other playgrounds are hard for wheelchairs," he says. "At Shane's I can get to all areas. It's a special place."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!