Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Atlanta Attorney Says He Accidentally Fatally Shot Wife as They Drove Home – and Blames Black Lives Matter Protestors
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- FROM EW: Relive 42 Years of Saturday Night Live Auditions with These Throwback Videos
- Here's a Reminder That You Can Ice Skate on Kim Kardashian's New Engagement Ring from Kanye West
- Donald Trump Told Howard Stern He Thought Paris Hilton Was 'Beautiful' When She Was 12 Years Old
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 06, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 14
A Chance to Play for Disabled Children
West Hartford, Conn.
Catherine Curry-Williams, 49
Los Angeles, Calif.
Amy Jaffe Barzach suffered heart-wrenching anguish when her infant Jonathan died of a neuro-muscular disease in 1995. Resolved to honor him, she found inspiration in a wheelchair-bound girl at a local park who sadly watched other kids play. "I thought, 'Shouldn't playgrounds be for everyone?'" recalls Barzach.
So she began leveling the playing field. Through bake sales and fund-raisers, she raised $500,000 to build a playground with wheelchair-accessible treehouses and waist-high sand tables. With corporate sponsorship she launched the nonprofit Boundless Playgrounds, inspiring Catherine Curry-Williams, who lost her baby to the same disease, to create Shane's Inspiration in '98 in his memory. Since then, both moms have helped build 152 playgrounds. "Our kids are in heaven," says Curry-Williams, "but this is bigger than them." Just ask Cole Massie, an 11-year-old with cerebral palsy in L.A. "Other playgrounds are hard for wheelchairs," he says. "At Shane's I can get to all areas. It's a special place."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!