Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Helen Mirren, Bradley Cooper, Kristin Chenoweth Lead 2015 Tony Nominees
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 20- Apr. 26, 2015
- PHOTO: Shia LaBeouf Goes Full-On Lumbersexual (But Don't Worry, He's Still Got the Rattail)
- Smooth Move! Simon Cowell Sweeps Katie Couric Off Her Feet with Dapper Dip on the Red Carpet
- Rebecca Romijn Previews Skin Wars Season 2 with Super Sexy Tigress Teaser
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 13, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 15
Heath's Final Gift to Matilda
Honoring His Memory, the Family of Heath Ledger Declares That His Estate Should Go to His Little Girl
Despite concerns that she would be overlooked, "There was never any question that Heath's estate"—estimated to be worth millions—"would go to Matilda," Kim Ledger told PEOPLE, adding that the family's decision "was made the moment Heath passed away." While the legalities of doing so took "a bit of time," says Kim, who just returned to Australia after a two-week visit with Matilda, 2, and mom Michelle Williams in New York City, "now that's all been done." A source close to Williams says the actress always knew that Kim "was making sure that she and Matilda would be taken care of. She's happy about it and she's happy for Matilda."
Williams and Kim aren't the only ones looking out for Matilda. The estate's trustee, attorney John LaViolette, filed suit Aug. 21 against ReliaStar Life Insurance Company for nonpayment on Ledger's $10 million policy. "They want to investigate whether the death was by suicide, which would allow them not to pay," says William Shernoff, who represents LaViolette, adding that the New York City coroner already concluded Ledger's drug overdose was accidental. ("We have not yet rendered a decision on this claim," says ReliaStar spokesman Dana Ripley.)
For her part, Williams, 28, continues to quietly raise her daughter in Brooklyn, occasionally stepping out for appearances like the Sept. 27 premiere of her new movie Wendy and Lucy. And her new relationship with director Spike Jonze is still going strong. "They seem really happy together," says a source. "She's just living her life."
- With Melenie Ambrose/Perth,
- K.C. Baker/New York City.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!