Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Texas Teacher Defends Her Controversial No-Homework Policy: 'Eat Dinner as a Family, Read Together, Play Outside'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Inside Kim Kardashian's Oceanfront Mexican Vacation Home
- Shailene Woodley Has Spent the Past 3 Weeks Protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline: See Her Impassioned Videos
- 'We Woke Up with People Screaming' – Italy Earthquake Destroys Small Towns as Death Toll Rises to 120
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 10, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 19
When Two White Tiger Cubs Needed a Little Dose of Motherly Love, Anjana the Chimpanzee Knew Just What She Had to Do
The improbable love story began in August when Hurricane Hanna cut a swath through the refuge. As rain and wind buffeted her shelter, Sukino, a white tiger, was suckling her two cubs. But the shelter was getting drenched and Antle reluctantly removed the fragile newborns, leaving the mother, and placed them in the care of one of his trainers, China York, in a drier, warmer building.
And that's where a beautiful friendship was born. Anjana "hangs out with me and watches what I'm doing," York, 27, says. So when the trainer began feeding the cubs, Anjana did the same. "You know, monkey see, monkey do," says York.
Anjana and the cubs have moved to a Miami park for the winter. The trio can't last forever—in a few months the cubs' bites will grow stronger and may provoke the powerful Anjana to unintentionally harm them; for now they're just happy to romp together. "It's really a joy to watch," says York.
- Johnny Dodd/Los Angeles.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!