Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Dan Deacon on Touring with Miley Cyrus: She's Surprisingly 'Down to Earth'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Miranda Lambert Heads Home to Texas for Thanksgiving: 'Nothing Beats a Note from Mom'
- All Grown Up: How Sasha and Malia Obama Have Changed Since Dad Took Office
- VIDEO: Eagles of Death Metal Recall Horror of Paris Terror Attacks: We 'Immediately Knew Something Was Wrong'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
When Mimi Ausland was just 2 her parents called her Dr. Doolittle after the toddler helped injured birds near her home. By age 9 Mimi was volunteering at a shelter, cleaning up after pooches and felines. "She has this huge heart," says her dad, Kelly, 47, "and is so protective of animals."
This year Mimi took her commitment to her four-legged friends to a new level. After learning that many shelters face food shortages, Mimi—with help from her parents—created the Web sites freekibble.com and freekibblekat.com. This eventually prompted a Portland, Ore., company to donate 10 pieces of dry food to a shelter for every answered question thought up by Mimi. Since April she has provided a half million meals to homeless animals, becoming the sole supplier to 11 shelters nationwide.
The donations are a godsend for cash-strapped shelters. A day after tropical storm Fay swept through Florida destroying food supplies at an animal refuge in Clewiston, Mimi offered 2,000 lbs. of dry food. "All I could do was cry," says director Palena Dorsey. "What Mimi is doing goes beyond the food."
Please tune in to CNN HEROES: An All-Star Tribute featuring the best of PEOPLE's 2008 Heroes Among Us, hosted by CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thanksgiving, Thursday, Nov. 27, at 9 p.m. on CNN.
November 23, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!