Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jaden Smith to Be Honored by Environmental Media Association for His Sustainable Water Bottle Project
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Players and Fans Gather to Say Goodbye to Marlins Ace José Fernández in Moving Memorial Service
- WATCH: TVD's Paul Wesley and his 'Smoldeypants' Pals Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed Think You Should #ProbablyVote
- See All the Up-Close Photos of Princess Kate's Lady in Red Moment in Canada
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 08, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 23
Chrissie Hynde Back to Ohio
The Singer Is Feeding Her Passion with a Vegan Eatery—and Revitalizing Her Hometown of Akron
Hynde can count herself among them. Last year the London-based lead singer of the Pretenders, 57, opened the vegan restaurant in an unlikely place: her hometown of Akron, Ohio, which she bemoaned in "My City Was Gone" and other songs. "I've made it up to [the locals] now," she says. In fact, she was driven by three goals: to help revitalize the city's downtown, to have a place to eat while visiting her parents and to further her longtime passion of animal protection. "This restaurant is full almost every night," she says proudly. And it isn't just fans—or vegetarians—filling the seats in the loftlike eatery. "What's important is not to attract the brown-rice hippies like myself," she says, "but to attract the meat-and-potatoes Americans who want to save their health." Chef J. Scot Jones' crowd-pleasers include $19 chicken piccata (made with a grain- and vegetable-based product), $8 New York-style cheesecake (made with tofu) and $8.50 veggie burgers served with "Chrissie fries." "Every time I go back to England, I'm about 10 lbs. heavier," she jokes.
Hynde has plenty of hopes for the future, like winning the top prize in Akron's annual National Hamburger Festival and expanding "wherever we're needed," she says. "I have people in Brazil, London and Paris saying, 'Come here!'"
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!