Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith Reunite To Watch Daughter Dakota Host Saturday Night Live
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Little Girl with Tumor Has One Final Wish – to Dance with Taylor Swift
- Sofia Vergara Sees You Staring at Joe Manganiello – and She Loves It
- William Shatner Can't Attend Leonard Nimoy's Funeral: 'I Feel Really Awful'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 15, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 24
Helping Kids in Appalachia
When Douglas was only 9, she locked eyes with a barefoot girl in a rural Ohio supermarket, wearing only a T-shirt and shorts on a bitter November day. While the Douglas family was preparing for a lavish Thanksgiving dinner, the girl's family only bought bologna and bread for their holiday meal. "I knew it wasn't right," says Douglas.
At that moment, Douglas vowed to help other kids in need. She emptied out her piggy bank, asked neighbors for contributions and bought toys and clothes for seven local children that Christmas. Since then, through her nonprofit Grandma's Gifts (grandmasgifts.org), founded in honor of her Appalachian-born grandmother who routinely cooked meals for neighbors in need, Douglas, now a 26-year-old graduate student, and five volunteers have handed out winter coats, food and school grants worth more than $12 million to more than a million needy children in the region. "Everyone is having hard times," says Alice Cook, 33, of Willow Wood, Ohio, whose two sons participate in science workshops funded by Grandma's Gifts. "But Emily broadens the horizons for my kids. And she does it out of the goodness of her heart."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!