Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Two Mainstream Diet Plans That Actually Work, According to Science
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Heading to Coachella This Weekend? Nab These Stylish (and Affordable!) Looks From Jamie, Kendall and More Stars!
- Princess Kate Enjoys a Pre-Birth Break at a Familiar Place
- Outlander Recap: Claire Is Forced to Choose Between Jamie and Frank
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 15, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 24
Helping Kids in Appalachia
When Douglas was only 9, she locked eyes with a barefoot girl in a rural Ohio supermarket, wearing only a T-shirt and shorts on a bitter November day. While the Douglas family was preparing for a lavish Thanksgiving dinner, the girl's family only bought bologna and bread for their holiday meal. "I knew it wasn't right," says Douglas.
At that moment, Douglas vowed to help other kids in need. She emptied out her piggy bank, asked neighbors for contributions and bought toys and clothes for seven local children that Christmas. Since then, through her nonprofit Grandma's Gifts (grandmasgifts.org), founded in honor of her Appalachian-born grandmother who routinely cooked meals for neighbors in need, Douglas, now a 26-year-old graduate student, and five volunteers have handed out winter coats, food and school grants worth more than $12 million to more than a million needy children in the region. "Everyone is having hard times," says Alice Cook, 33, of Willow Wood, Ohio, whose two sons participate in science workshops funded by Grandma's Gifts. "But Emily broadens the horizons for my kids. And she does it out of the goodness of her heart."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!