Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Donald Trump Had a Short Cameo in a 2000 Playboy 'Centerfold' Video
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Paris Jackson Enjoys PDA-Filled Vacation with Boyfriend Michael Snoddy
- Former Power Rangers Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Denies Killing His Roommate with a Sword
- Family Love! Tracee Ellis Ross Shares Cute Snapshot of Mom Diana Ross and Sisters
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 29, 2008
- Vol. 70
- No. 26
Picks and Pans Main: Top 10 Music
The Year in Breakup Songs
Viva Coldplay, T.I. and a 50-Year-Old Named Madonna
It really did feel as if Coldplay, making like French revolutionaries, ruled the world in 2008. Chris Martin's blokes expanded their Brit-pop domain by conquering Latin, African and Middle Eastern sounds. Not only was this the album of the year, but its majestic title track was the song of the year.
ROBIN THICKE, SOMETHING ELSE
There is nothing blue-eyed about the soul of Thicke, who proves that last year's hit "Lost Without U" was no white-boy fluke by releasing the best R&B CD of 2008, a vintage-'70s set.
MADONNA, HARD CANDY
In the year that she turned 50, Madge turned the clock back to her early days as an urban club kid. With help from Justin Timberlake, Timbaland and Pharrell, she rocks the party like she hasn't since her 1983 debut.
The title was supposed to be the N-word. But the rapper doesn't pull any other punches, seizing the Obama moment in this look at the state of black America and race relations.
T.I., PAPER TRAIL
Lil Wayne may have sold more albums, but for our money this was the hip-hop crowd-pleaser of the year, scoring back-to-back No. 1 hits: "Whatever You Like" and "Live Your Life," the pop-rap anthem of 2008.
VAMPIRE WEEKEND, VAMPIRE WEEKEND
On their eclectic debut, these Columbia University grads make college rock that gets high marks for both catchiness and quirkiness.
THE CURE, 4:13 DREAM
You have to go all the way back to the first Bush administration for the last time the Cure made an album this good. They show all those skinny-jeans bands who've ripped them off how it's done.
The Cure weren't the only '80s alt-rock heroes to make a killer comeback. Michael Stipe's crew put a middle-aged malaise behind them, flooring it on Accelerate, their rockingest effort since 1994's Monster.
EMMYLOU HARRIS, ALL I INTENDED TO BE
Having graced many other people's albums, Harris can be excused for taking her time between solo discs. Her first since 2003, a country-folk gem, reminds us why she has long been a national treasure.
In the wake of Amy Winehouse, there was an invasion of soulful chanteuses from the U.K., including Leona Lewis, Duffy and Estelle. But with that knockout of a voice, this 20-year-old was the best of 'em.
• LIL WAYNE, "LOLLIPOP" "It is a time where everything is so serious in the world, and that song is a way to escape and just have fun for a minute. It just makes you act goofy. I like to get goofy sometimes." —WYCLEF JEAN
• RIHANNA, "DISTURBIA" "She's funky. I love everything about her." —Kim Kardashian
• KATY PERRY, "HOT N COLD" "I dig what she's been able to pull off. She's been able to get into this pop-rock atmosphere, but she's got such a rock swagger. I love it." —David Cook
• KANYE WEST, "LOVE LOCKDOWN" "It's a breakup song, but it's talking about how unfair he was being to his ex. He probably is the voice of this decade, the voice of a generation." —Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy lead singer)
PINK ON CAREY HART "I guess I just lost my husband/I don't know where he went/So I'm gonna drink my money/I'm not gonna pay his rent" —"SO WHAT"
TAYLOR SWIFT ON JOE JONAS "Was I out of line?/Did I say something way too honest?/Made you run and hide like a scared little boy ... Thought I knew you for a minute/Now I'm not so sure" —"FOREVER & ALWAYS"
KANYE WEST ON EX-FIANCEE ALEXIS PHIFER "You wait a couple months then you gon' see/You'll never find nobody better than me" —"HEARTLESS"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!