Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Texas Teacher Defends Her Controversial No-Homework Policy: 'Eat Dinner as a Family, Read Together, Play Outside'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Inside Kim Kardashian's Oceanfront Mexican Vacation Home
- Shailene Woodley Has Spent the Past 3 Weeks Protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline: See Her Impassioned Videos
- 'We Woke Up with People Screaming' – Italy Earthquake Destroys Small Towns as Death Toll Rises to 120
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 12, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 1
A Baby for Bristol
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin Becomes a Grandma as Her Daughter and Her Fiancé, Levi Johnston, Welcome a Boy
December 27, 2008
7 lbs. 7 oz.
I'm a proud great-grandpa!" cheered Jim Palin, as the family broke the news to PEOPLE that his granddaughter Bristol and her fiancé, Levi Johnston, had welcomed a son, Tripp. Last year Bristol Palin was an unknown high school junior who had to break some very private news to her parents: She and her boyfriend of nearly three years were expecting. Word might not have leaked beyond Alaska, except that her mom, the state's governor, Sarah Palin, later took the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket.
With the race lost—and Johnston's mother, Sherry, recently arrested for allegedly selling OxyContin—both families needed some good news. They got it Dec. 27 when Tripp arrived, a week late but healthy. "It's wonderful," says Bristol's great-aunt Colleen Jones. "I'm sure [Sarah] was thrilled." No doubt so was Bristol's dad, Todd, who had joked that his youngest, Tripp's Uncle Trig, 9 months, "needs a little buddy."
Bristol, 18 and finishing school in Wasilla by correspondence courses, and Levi, 18, an apprentice electrician, may wed this year. "She will be a loving mother," Gov. Palin said last fall, "and Levi a very good father." Adds a friend: "Sarah will be a great grandmother. She's handled a lot this year and takes everything in stride."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!