Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Kristen Stewart and Nicholas Hoult Try to Resist Their Feelings in Clip from Sci-Fi Drama Equals
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Khloé Kardashian Feels Conflicted About Her Exes: 'If People Are Destructive to You Emotionally, That Still Doesn't Mean You Can't Love Them'
- Mother-in-Law of Murdered Texas Fitness Instructor Shares Love Story Between Her Son and Daughter-in-Law: 'She Was Definitely the One'
- WATCH: Jennifer Holliday Surprises The View's Whoopi Goldberg with Superstar Co-Host Karaoke Performance of 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 26, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 3
A Family Says Goodbye
With An Intimate Memorial Service at Their Florida Home, John Travolta & Kelly Preston Bid An Emotional Farewell to Their Beloved Son Jett
Surrounded by family members and close friends, Travolta, 54, and his wife, Kelly Preston, 46, bid a sad farewell to their son Jett, who died at age 16 of a seizure disorder on Jan. 2 during a family vacation in the Bahamas. At the private outdoor memorial held in the backyard, where Jett often played in the pool with his sister Ella Bleu, 8, mourners gathered beneath a tent, where, at the front, a large portrait of Jett was placed on a pedestal. A main theme of the Scientology service was the religion's belief that the human spirit is immortal and will live again. "Kelly and John were holding hands the entire time, trying to cope," says the friend. But by the end, "they were crying. Kelly is in pain. John is doing the best he can." Adds longtime Travolta pal Lisa Marie Presley, who attended the service: "They are two parents who are absolutely, utterly devastated."
Still, their grief hasn't clouded their gratitude for the outpouring of support from loved ones and fans. In an open letter to the citizens of Ocala, where Jett developed his love for golf-cart rides and planes, Travolta, Preston and Ella expressed their appreciation for the cards, flowers and kindness they received from neighbors who "made an impossibly painful situation a little less painful," they wrote. "For all of the people who have kept Jett in their prayers, know that those prayers have given us inspiration and strength."
Following the funeral, Kelly hugged and thanked guests (who also included Garth Brooks, Forest Whitaker, Cal Ripken Jr. and James Gandolfini) in the family's living room, which overlooked the plane that John had named after his firstborn child. John—who canceled his appearance as a presenter at the Jan. 11 Golden Globes—spoke "about how [Jett] was always happy," says the friend. "He didn't want to cry. He was doing his best to stay positive ... but he was exhausted." The couple also went to great lengths to "make sure [Ella] had friends with her" to lean on, says the guest.
Now the trio simply need time to heal. "They were a foursome. Everything was done as a family unit, and now the unit is no longer," says the friend. "They are having a difficult time—but they are trying to make their way back to the world."
- Liz McNeil/New York City,
- Amy Elisa Keith/Los Angeles.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!