Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Why Is Britney Spears's Boyfriend, Charlie Ebersol, Teaming Up with Michelle Obama?
- Read the Cover Story: The Untold Love Story Behind American Sniper
- Convicted Drug Dealer Charged in Murder of Fox Executive
- Excited Woman Falls to Her Death After Her Boyfriend Proposes on the Edge of a Cliff
- Shakira and Gerard Piqué Welcome Second Son
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday January 30, 2015 10:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
Sioux Falls, S.Dak.
Retired steelworker Tim Nicolai envisioned a quiet second act for himself and wife Nancy when they bought the Arena Motel in 2004. But just a few months later, on a frigid winter day, a woman and her daughter showed up at the front desk, with no money and nowhere else to go. "I had empty rooms," recalls Tim, 48, "and they didn't have a roof over their heads."
Four years later, after converting four of the motel's 26 rooms to family-friendly setups with hot plates and cribs, Tim and Nancy, 47, have provided free shelter to more than 100 homeless people. Staying anywhere from a few weeks to more than a year, these guests have morning coffee with Tim, who helps them comb "help wanted" ads and has hooked up several with work from friends. "I'd be on the streets if it wasn't for them," says 27-year-old Heather, a mom of four young children, who now works as the motel housekeeper. "They're such caring people."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to email@example.com
January 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!