Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chewbacca Mom Candace Payne Reacts to Sudden Fame: 'I'm Enjoying Every Single Moment!'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Beth Howland, Who Played Vera on Alice, Has Died at 74
- Three Utah Sisters Diagnosed with Cancer Within Weeks of Each Other: 'You Have to Have Faith, Hope and Humor'
- 21 Awkward Date Stories That Will Make You Want to Hide Forever
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
Sioux Falls, S.Dak.
Retired steelworker Tim Nicolai envisioned a quiet second act for himself and wife Nancy when they bought the Arena Motel in 2004. But just a few months later, on a frigid winter day, a woman and her daughter showed up at the front desk, with no money and nowhere else to go. "I had empty rooms," recalls Tim, 48, "and they didn't have a roof over their heads."
Four years later, after converting four of the motel's 26 rooms to family-friendly setups with hot plates and cribs, Tim and Nancy, 47, have provided free shelter to more than 100 homeless people. Staying anywhere from a few weeks to more than a year, these guests have morning coffee with Tim, who helps them comb "help wanted" ads and has hooked up several with work from friends. "I'd be on the streets if it wasn't for them," says 27-year-old Heather, a mom of four young children, who now works as the motel housekeeper. "They're such caring people."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!