Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Search Continues for Missing Japanese Boy Abandoned in Mountains by Parents as 'Punishment'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- 4 Tricks to Getting the Prettiest Bare Nails
- The Bachelorette Recap: JoJo Fletcher Gets Her First One-on-One – and We Officially Have This Season's Villain
- Sail Away! Amy Schumer and Kate Hudson Vacation in Hawaii With Goldie Hawn
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 27, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 16
Mel Gibson Surprise Split
After Seven Kids and 28 Years of Marriage, Mel and Robyn Gibson Shock Hollywood—and Members of Their Conservative Church—by Filing for Divorce
But at Easter it was clear something was very wrong. None of the Gibsons attended services until a forlorn Mel slipped in toward the end of mass. "Well, she's filed for divorce," the downcast actor-director, 53, told stunned churchgoers afterward.
More surprises followed. According to Gibson, he and Robyn have been quietly separated since August 2006, less than a month after the notorious incident in which he was pulled over for drunken driving in Malibu and made anti-Semitic remarks to his arresting officer (he later apologized and entered rehab). In her April 13 divorce filing, Robyn (who didn't specify a separation date) cited "irreconcilable differences" and requested joint custody of Tom, 10, the only child still under 18 of their six sons and one daughter.
Mel and Robyn, a former dental nurse, weathered tough times, including his battles with depression and alcohol abuse. "The real medal goes to my wife, who's a wonderful woman," he told Diane Sawyer in 2004. But there have been signs of trouble: most recently, reports of Gibson spending time with Russian singer Oksana (right) at his home in Costa Rica and on the Boston set of his movie Edge of Darkness. "There was a sense that his marriage wasn't good," says a set source. "But there was never anything blatant."
Friends say the end of the long-standing union will likely be amicable. "It just ran its course. They always wanted to try and make the marriage work; they really tried," says a source close to both Gibsons. "It was just time."
- With Anne Driscoll/Boston,
- Julie Jordan/Los Angeles,
- Ken Lee/Los Angeles,
- Hitha Prabhakar/New York City.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!