Archive Page - 12/1/12 39 years, 2,079 covers and 53,260 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- SPOILER: Who Was the First Finalist Eliminated on the Dancing Finale?
- Which Couple Deserves to Win Dancing's Mirror-Ball Trophy?
- The Daily Treat: What Would You Call Mariah Carey's Puppies?
- DWTS's Val Chmerkovskiy Took Stitches 'Like a Champ,' Says His Plastic Surgeon
- The Best of Celebrity Commencement Speeches!
On Newsstands Now
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday May 21, 2013 10:10PM EDT
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 27, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 16
Eva Longoria & Chef Todd English's Cinco De Mayo Party Plan!
The Star and Restaurateur's Tips for a Caliente Bash
PARTY FOR 8 $7.50 PER PERSON
• 8 large avocados, chopped
• 2 large tomatoes, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• 3 small serrano peppers, ribs and seeds removed, minced
• Coarse salt
• Juice of 4 lemons
• Tortilla chips, lime flavored
In a bowl, combine avocados, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and peppers. Season with salt and lemon juice; mix, mashing slightly. Serve with tortilla chips.
• 16 round tortilla chips
• 1 can pinto beans, rinsed, drained and lightly mashed
• 1 lb. lettuce, chopped
• 1 lb. ground beef
• 1 lb. shredded cheddar
Brown ground beef with salt and pepper. To assemble, place 1 tablespoon beans on tortilla, top with one tablespoon each of lettuce, beef and cheese.
• 2-3 peeled clementines
• 2-3 cups ice
• 2 tbsp. simple syrup (Combine 1 part water to 1 part sugar in saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Cool.)
• 2 cups lemon soda
• 2 tbsp. lime juice
• Bit of lime zest
• 3 cups tequila
• 2 tbsp. Cointreau
Mash clementines at bottom of pitcher. Add ice, tequila, soda, syrup, lime juice and Cointreau. Add a bit of lime zest, stir.
Mario Batali ...
DINNER FOR FOUR
The award-winning chef shares his quick and easy recipe for a favorite Italian family meal
FETTUCCINI AL LIMONE
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
• 3 jalapeños, seeded and cut into thin slivers
• Zest and juice of 3 lemons
• 8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 ¼ lbs. fettucini pasta
• ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano
1. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 tablespoons of salt.
2. Meanwhile, in a 10-inch to 12-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking. Add the sliced onion and the red pepper flakes and sauté until translucent for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the jalapeños and sauté for another minute. Add the lemon zest and juice, bring to a boil, and continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in the unsalted butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain.
4. Toss the hot pasta into the pan with the lemon mixture, return to medium heat and mix well, stirring gently. Add the Pecorino Romano and toss quickly. Transfer to a warmed serving platter and serve immediately.
Jacques Torres' ...
New York-based celeb chocolatier Torres (a.k.a. Mr. Chocolate) has one guiding principle. "I look at what people love to eat and then I add chocolate," he says. His chocolate-covered Cheerios, for instance, were inspired by a customer who used the cereal to calm her crying baby. Be forewarned: "You can't eat just one," says Torres of these confections and their sweet sibling, chocolate-covered popcorn.
CHEAP & FANCY
Chocolate Covered Cheerios and Chocolate Covered popcorn; mrchocolate.com.
Worth A Visit ...
Three jaw-dropping destinations from Patricia Schultz, author of 1,000 Places to See in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die
DENALI NATIONAL PARK
WHERE IT IS
In south-central Alaska, about a five-hour drive north from Anchorage. Contact: nps.gov/dena
To view Mount McKinley, the tallest peak in North America (20,320 ft.!), as well as rare wildlife such as caribou and golden eagles.
WHERE IT IS
Approximately 3 miles off the coast of Georgia and reachable only by ferry. Contact: nps.gov/cuis
The site of John F. Kennedy Jr.'s wedding, "you feel light years away from America," Schultz says. "There are wild ponies, and you can walk forever on one of the gorgeous beaches and never see another soul."
WHERE IT IS
On the border of Arizona and Utah. Contact: navajonationparks.org
In addition to exploring what Schultz calls "the vast and timeless Wild West panorama" (movies like Thelma & Louise were filmed near here), take a guided tour of the Navajo Nation Reservation.
GREAT RENTAL CAR DISCOUNT!
ONLY FOR People READERS
Through May 31, Alamo offers weekend rates as low as $10 a day. But for PEOPLE readers, they are extending this deal to June 20! Go to alamo.com/peoplemagazine for details.
Grey Gardens ...
GET THE LOOK!
Decor inspired by Drew Barrymore's new HBO movie
1 WALL PAINT
Benjamin Moore paint in Grape Gum, from $7; myperfectcolor.com
Grey's production designer Kalina Ivanov found a 1920s antique mirror in Montreal. Walker Mirror, $139; homedecorators.com
"Throw pillows tie all the dramatic colors together," says Ivanov. Vila Sham, from $7.99; ikea.com
Ivanov chose a vintage European art deco lamp for a "1930s bohemian" feel. Uttermost Adina lamp, $94; qvc.com
We Asked ... What Do You Do to De-Stress?
"I hang out with my wife. We get a movie, veg out and enjoy each other."
"I play with my dogs.We go into my backyard and they jump all over me."
"I surf and snowboard, and I like to play guitar and write songs."
"I make sure I get a lot of sleep—I just slip into a slumber."
- CONTRIBUTORS Antoinette Y. Coulton,
- Amy Elisa Keith,
- Suzanne Zuckerman,
- with Reagan Alexander.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!