Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 18
MEALS FOR FOUR UNDER $10
Tom Colicchio and his fellow nominees for the 2009 Beard Award (the Oscar for chefs) share their recipes
TOM COLICCHIO'S MEATLOAF
• ½ medium yellow onion, diced
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 lbs. ground beef (85% lean)
• 2 large eggs
• ¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, or ½ tbsp. dried oregano
• 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
• 2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. ketchup
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the oil until golden. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl, combine beef, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper. Form a loaf (approximately 7 × 5 × 3 in. in size) and place it in a roasting pan. Cover the loaf evenly with the ketchup. Bake loaf for about 1 hour, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°. Remove and allow to rest slightly, then cut into ½-in. slices.
UNDER $10 BLOWOUT!
JOSE ANDRES' OLIVE OIL PANCAKES
• 1¾ cups flour
• 2 tbsp. sugar
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1½ cups buttermilk
• 4 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for frying
• 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
• ¼ cup lemon honey (Combine ¼ cup honey with ½ tsp. lemon zest in a saucepan. Steep over low heat and strain.)
1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in egg, buttermilk and 2 tbsp. olive oil until smooth, then stir in chocolate pieces.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Ladle ¼ cup of pancake batter into the pan and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the second side. Repeat, adding more olive oil to the pan as needed.
3. To serve, drizzle the pancakes with honey.
SUZANNE GOIN'S MUSHROOM FRITTATA
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tsp. butter
• ¾ lb. wild mushrooms, chopped into bite-size pieces
• ¼ cup sliced green onions
• 1 tsp. fresh thyme
• 5 egg whites, beaten
• 2 tbsp. each chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, parsley, chervil)
• Squeeze of lemon
1. Heat oven to 350°. Heat oil on high in a 6-in. cast-iron skillet for 2 minutes. Add butter. When the butter foams, add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add onions and thyme; sauté for 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in egg whites with spatula until eggs start to set.
2. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 5 minutes, until golden. Sprinkle with remaining herbs and lemon juice. Cut into wedges and serve.
DAN BARBER'S KALE SALAD WITH PINE NUTS, CURRANTS AND PARMESAN
• 2 tbsp. dried currants
• 7 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar, divided
• 1 tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
• 1 tbsp. honey
• 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp. salt
• 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 1 lb.) with center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise. (Be sure to choose kale with small leaves, which are more tender.)
• 2 tbsp. pine nuts, lightly toasted
• Parmesan cheese shavings
1. Place currants in small bowl; add 5 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar. Let soak overnight. Then drain currants.
2. Whisk remaining 2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, oil and salt in large bowl. Add kale, currants and pine nuts; toss to coat. Let marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature, tossing occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese shavings over salad and serve.
PAUL KAHAN'S GRILLED MARINATED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH SPRING VEGETABLE SALAD
• 8 skin-on chicken thighs
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
• ¼-in. ginger, minced
• 2 tbsp. toasted and crushed anise seed
• 2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
• ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
• 1 cup, 4 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 lemon
• 1 lb. loaf crusty bread
• 1 bunch knob onions
• 8 radishes with greens
• 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Combine garlic, ginger, anise, paprika, cayenne, juice of ½ a lemon and 1 cup oil in food processor.
2. Pour marinade onto chicken, cover and refrigerate.
3. Grill thighs until crispy and cooked through.
4. Place onions and bread in bowl, drizzle with 2 tbsp. olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Grill onions and bread, then cut into chunks. Place onions, bread, radish greens and cucumbers in a bowl and toss with salt, pepper, 2 tbsp. olive oil and juice of half a lemon. Top chicken with salad.
SUPERMARKET FLOWERS 3 WAYS
A florist-to-the-stars tells how to create A-list arrangements with everyday blooms
L.A. floral designer Mark Held, who has created bouquets for the likes of Gwen Stefani and Pink, says, "Keep it simple and you'll get a high-end look."
MIX IT UP
Grab two types of flowers, like tulips and daffodils, and drop them in a simple vase. "It's a happy design for spring," says Held.
LESS IS MORE
For a modern vibe, choose one stem (like an orchid or a cherry blossom branch) and display it on its own in a tall vase.
For maximum impact, stick to one bold hue. "Keep stems short and bundled tightly," advises Held.
What Will You Get Mom for Mother's Day?
"Probably some jewelry or a Chanel purse and a nice card."
"Thanks for reminding me. No ideas yet, but something special."
"I'll write her a really nice letter about how much she means to me."
Through May 31, plug in code PEOPLE15 and get 15% off 24 multicolored roses (normally $39.99).
- CONTRIBUTORS Antoinette Y. Coulton,
- Amy Elisa Keith,
- Suzanne Zuckerman,
- with David Caplan,
- Samantha McIntyre,
- Jenny Sundel.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!