Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Naomi Watts and Liev Schrieber Split: Inside Their 11 Year Romance and its Sad Final Chapter
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Debate Karma: Donald Trump Mocked on Twitter for Excessive Water Drinking
- Houston Metro Officer Resigns After Video of Him Beating a Man Surfaces
- Naomi Watts Smiles on Set in NYC Amid Split from Liev Schreiber
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 18, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 19
Katie Lee Joel's
The chef and food critic shares her blue-ribbon Memorial Day menu
BURGER & DRINK
$4.70 PER PERSON
LOGAN COUNTY BURGER
• 1 lb. ground beef (85% lean)
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 medium yellow onion, half grated, the other half thinly sliced
• ¼ tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 12 slices white bread
• 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
• 12 slices American cheese
1. In a bowl, combine beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Form thin patties. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain grease from the skillet.
3. In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese and bread, butter side up. Cook each sandwich until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
• 3 cups bourbon
• 24 oz. frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
• 12 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
• 4 cups strong brewed tea
In a 1½ gallon pitcher, mix bourbon, juices and tea. Stir in 3 quarts water. Place in freezer. Stir after 8 hours. Continue to freeze for 2 hours more, and up to 2 days. Defrost 30 minutes before serving. Stir and serve in a mason jar.
Jewels & Jill Elmore ...
LUNCH FOR FOUR UNDER $10
The sister team of personal chefs for stars like Jennifer Aniston, John Travolta and Kelly Preston share their recipes for a light and low-cost lunch
• 4 cups celery, chopped in 1-inch pieces
• ½ head cauliflower, cut into 2-inch pieces (or 1 potato, peeled, cut)
• 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 tbsp. heavy cream (optional)
1. Put all ingredients, except the cream, into a large stockpot.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and skim any impurities off the top. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
3. Mix with a hand blender and stir in cream, if desired. Return the soup to the pot and gently reheat if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
• 1-2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 2-3 cups leftover meat such as steak or chicken, cut into chunks
• 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
• ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
• Salt and pepper
• 4-6 flour tortillas
• Optional additions (1 cup of each) salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, hot sauce
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and sauté onions for 2 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the meat, tomatoes and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and the meat is warm.
3. Divide mixture evenly among the tortillas and add toppings.
DRINKS & DANCING
Toast the Dancing with the Stars finale on May 19 with the judges' favorite cocktails
"I'm a very cheap date. Two glasses of champagne and I'm wheeeeeeee."
CARRIE ANN INABA
"A margarita brings out your inner dancer and makes you want to shimmy!"
"My father told me, 'Martinis are like women; one isn't enough and three are too many.'"
HAVE A BALL
12-in. silver mirror disco ball, $27.95; epartyunlimited.com
FUN AT THE MUSEUM!
With Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian opening May 22, travel expert Pauline Frommer picks her favorite museums
THE FIELD MUSEUM
Besides the largest, most complete T. rex fossil ever found, "the newly opened pirates exhibit is good for Jack Sparrow fans," says Frommer. Web site: fieldmuseum.org
Set on 45 acres, this is "as much a small town as a museum," notes Frommer. The Americana includes a restored steamboat. Web site: shelburnemuseum.org
THE AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
"Visitors can touch a moon rock, learn about the physics of flying or simulate the experience of piloting a fighter jet," says Frommer. Web site: nasm.si.edu
Los Angeles, Calif.
"It's high tech and high fun," says Frommer. Interact with touchscreen exhibits or mix tracks and learn about sound engineering. Web site: grammymuseum.org
We Asked ...
What Is Your Favorite Museum?
"Mount Vernon. A few years ago it was just a house; now it's an impressive learning center."
"The Neue Galerie in New York. I like the scale of it, and they have a lot of Gustav Klimt art and a great café."
"The Museum of Television & Radio. I love classic TV, and you can look up any show from any time."
- CONTRIBUTORS Antoinette Y. Coulton,
- Amy Elisa Keith,
- Suzanne Zuckerman,
- with Monica Rizzo,
- Christina Tapper,
- Nicholas White.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!