Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,168 covers and 54,870 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Monaco's Princess Charlene: 'Crazy in Love' With Newborn Twins
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Why Bruno Mars Rocked Gold Curlers on The Voice
- Constance Zimmer: My Husband Handles 'All the Cooking and Cleaning'
- He Cried Him A River! See Why Justin Timberlake Gets Weepy Over Fan's Gift
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Wednesday December 17, 2014 02:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 25, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 20
Star Trek's Hot New Hero Chris Pine
The Sci-Fi Hit's Dashing Kirk Hits the Big Time at Warp Speed—and Makes His Actor Dad Proud
ACTING RUNS IN THE FAMILY
His dad, Robert, played Sgt. Getraer on TV's CHiPs; mom Gwynne Gilford starred in the 1987 He-Man film Masters of the Universe; and his late grandmother Anne Gwynne was an actress and WWII-era pinup model. "I couldn't be prouder," his dad says of Chris's success. "He's an incredibly hard worker."
HE'S GOT BRAINS TOO
Pine graduated from U.C. Berkeley with an English degree in 2002 and then worked as a restaurant server before landing his breakout role in 2004's The Princess Diaries 2.
HE WASN'T A TREKKIE
"I was more of a Star Wars kid," says Pine. "But [my grandmother] was a big William Shatner fan. She watched T.J. Hooker every time she babysat me."
HIS NEXT ROLE?
Uncle! Sister Katie, 36, a psychologist, is expecting her first child in August. Careerwise, Pine is prepping to star in the play Farragut North with Chris Noth in L.A.
WILLIAM SHATNER APPROVES
"Perfect casting," says the original Kirk, who predicts, "He's young and he's handsome and he will be rich."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!