Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Watch Anderson Cooper Become Incapacitated by a Giggle Fit in CNN Blooper Reel
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Seeing Double! Blythe Danner Is a Dead Ringer for Gwyneth Paltrow in This Old Pic
- Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner Step Out for Lunch in Los Angeles (Photo)
- Sandra Lee Expresses Gratitude to Fellow Cancer Patients: 'Thank You for Giving Me Hope'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 25, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 20
These are just some of the everyday heroes doing their part to help neighbors hit hard by the recession. They are PEOPLE's Heroes in Hard Times, and when they see a problem, they don't look away.
Neither does Oprah Winfrey. To celebrate our heroes' amazing acts of kindness she's devoted her entire May 19 show to them. "These heroes inspire us to come up with ideas that are right at our fingertips—to see what the need is and to reach out and respond," Winfrey says. I had the privilege of sitting in the audience during the taping in Chicago. What you notice when you see all these heroes is how there was never a moment where they asked, "How will I do this?" They simply saw a need that wasn't being met and figured out the details later. Their matter-of-factness is as inspiring as the help they deliver.
We hope you'll tune in to The Oprah Winfrey Show Tuesday, May 19, for this special hour. And we hope these stories will inspire you to listen to your gut instinct to do something when you see a neighbor, or a stranger, in need. The pieces will fall into place—and the rewards are boundless. Just ask PEOPLE's heroes. "When you help someone move to a different place in their lives," says Hal Colston, "oh man, there's nothing like it."
LARRY HACKETT, MANAGING EDITOR
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!