Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 5 Killed as 2 Small Planes Collide Midair in Alaska: Report
- Read the Cover Story: Rob Kardashian & Blac Chyna: How I Finally Found Happiness
- Architect and Contractor in Christmas Day House Fire That Killed 5 Agree to Pay $1.2 Million
- US Open Star Nick Kyrgios Would Rather Be Playing Basketball (or Pokemon Go): 'I Don’t Love This Sport'
- Child Services Launch Investigation Into Anthony Weiner's Parenting of Son Amid Sexting Scandal: Report
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 29, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 25
Church Under the Bridge
The Area Below Interstate 35 in Waco, Texas, Is All Concrete and Gravel, but for the 300 Souls Who Gather Each Sunday, It Feels Like Heaven
The Church Under the Bridge started in 1992 as a Bible study group after Pastor Jimmy Dorrell, 59 (center, June 14), and his wife, Janet, 52, befriended men living there. Today many of the 300 members—most of them homeless—rely on the recovery groups and hot meals the church provides.
OUTREACH TO ALL
Before service Dorrell talks to a regular, Sam Williams, about social services and where he can collect more cans. "We're going to love them in spite of themselves," says Dorrell. "We're not going to give up on them."
PRAISING THE LORD
Marvin Holcomb, 49 (far right, with his wife, Evan, 30), has stage-four lung cancer but draws strength from the church. "You can feel God's presence here," he says. "I couldn't hack it without my Sundays."
Olin Anderson, a former photographer who is homeless, sometimes portrays Jesus in the Easter service. "Most of these people you'd never find in a regular church," says another member, Michael Deleon, a handyman. "There's beauty here."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!