Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Bryan Cranston, Susan Lucci and More React to All My Children Creator Agnes Nixon's Death
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Donald Trump on Alicia Machado's Miss Universe Reign: 'I Saved Her Job'
- José Fernández's Pregnant Girlfriend Maria Arias Makes First Public Appearance Since His Death at Memorial Service
- Utah Man Allegedly Held Teen in Shed For Six Weeks, Forcing Her to Perform Sex Acts for Food and Water
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 29, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 25
Church Under the Bridge
The Area Below Interstate 35 in Waco, Texas, Is All Concrete and Gravel, but for the 300 Souls Who Gather Each Sunday, It Feels Like Heaven
The Church Under the Bridge started in 1992 as a Bible study group after Pastor Jimmy Dorrell, 59 (center, June 14), and his wife, Janet, 52, befriended men living there. Today many of the 300 members—most of them homeless—rely on the recovery groups and hot meals the church provides.
OUTREACH TO ALL
Before service Dorrell talks to a regular, Sam Williams, about social services and where he can collect more cans. "We're going to love them in spite of themselves," says Dorrell. "We're not going to give up on them."
PRAISING THE LORD
Marvin Holcomb, 49 (far right, with his wife, Evan, 30), has stage-four lung cancer but draws strength from the church. "You can feel God's presence here," he says. "I couldn't hack it without my Sundays."
Olin Anderson, a former photographer who is homeless, sometimes portrays Jesus in the Easter service. "Most of these people you'd never find in a regular church," says another member, Michael Deleon, a handyman. "There's beauty here."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!