Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- J.K. Simmons Channels His Oscar-Nominated Whiplash Character for His SNL Monologue
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- As If We Needed 7 Reasons to Watch the Puppy Bowl
- Aw! Chris Hemsworth Said the Most Romantic Thing About His Wife
- Bobbi Kristina Brown & Nick Gordon: See Their Love Through the Years
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 11:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 22, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 24
Rancher Neal Wanless Hits the Lottery and Vows to Help His Struggling Hometown
After waiting nine days to come forward (he will receive a lump-sum payment of $88.5 million), Wanless didn't have many more words at a June 5 press conference. "I'd like to thank the Lord for this opportunity. I will not squander it," he said. "My family has been helped by the community, and I intend to repay it many times over."
Even here, in America's seventh poorest county, there is little envy directed at Wanless, who dropped out of Iowa State University in 2006 to work the family's 320-acre ranch. "There's nobody who needs it more," says friend Greg Assman. "It's virtually impossible to make a living on 320 acres."
Still, Neal and his parents were trying. Dad Arlen and mom Nancy owe nearly $2,500 in taxes and were selling scrap metal to make ends meet. Bearshield's father used to hire the Wanlesses to bale hay; once, Becky recalls, "they needed money for Neal's graduation, so my dad let him have all the hay and all the profit." Despite his windfall, don't expect Neal to abandon ranch life. Not long ago he was riding a favorite horse, Eleanor, and told her, "It'd be nice if we could go for a longer ride on a bigger ranch of our own."
- Pam Grout/Lawrence,
- Jeff Truesdell/St. Louis,
- Margaret Nelson Brinkhaus/Mission.
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!