- Babies on Board? Jill and Jessa Say They Plan to Get Pregnant at the Same Time on Counting On
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Ted Cruz Drops Out of Presidential Race: 'We are Suspending Our Campaign'
- Justin Bieber Hangs with a Tiger (and the Batmobile) at His Dad's Engagement Party
- Taylor Swift's Met Gala After Afterparty Looks Like the Best Sleepover Ever (with Haim and Pizza!)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- June 22, 2009
- Vol. 71
- No. 24
Scuba Death Shocking Plea
Admitting to Manslaughter in the Death of His Wife, Gabe Watson Will Only Serve a Year
He was not the only one stunned by the plea deal. The attorney general in Queensland, Australia, immediately said he would consider any appeal of the sentence. Officials in Alabama, where the Watsons lived, said it was their understanding that Australian prosecutors had a strong case against Gabe, 32, a businessman from the town of Hoover who has since remarried. Ultimately, though, Australian prosecutors apparently believed the best they could hope for was to prove that Gabe was, in effect, a negligent diving buddy. Without clear evidence of Watson's intent to kill his wife, says Terry O'Gorman, a criminal law specialist in Australia, "They never would have got a [murder] conviction."
Tina's family remains convinced that such evidence does exist. Among other things, an Australian coroner concluded there was reason to believe that Gabe had cut off his wife's oxygen supply and held her underwater. Another seemingly incriminating fact was that Gabe, an experienced diver who was certified for scuba rescue, claimed that he quickly surfaced for help when he saw Tina, 26, was in trouble—yet his dive computer showed that he had taken a leisurely 2½ minutes to ascend 45 feet. "We're going to fight for Tina as long as we're alive," says her sister Alanda. "That sentence is a joke."
- Helen Chryssides/Queensland,
- Andy Toulson/Queensland,
- Nancy Wilstach/Birmingham.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!