Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Django Unchained Actress Daniele Watts Will Apologize to LAPD for Accusing Them of Racism
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 27- May 3, 2015
- How Do Vanessa and Nick Lachey Find Alone Time?
- Kerry Washington & Nnamdi Asomugha Make Rare Red Carpet Appearance Together – Two Years After Secret Wedding (PHOTO)
- If You Illegally Park in a Handicap Spot in Moscow, You Might Get a Scary Message (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 27, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 4
Parents of 16 Murdered
Melanie and Byrd Billings Opened Their Home to Special-Needs Kids—Only to Fall Victim to Ruthless Intruders
Police quickly arrested seven suspects in the case, identified through an extensive surveillance system that the Billingses had rigged up around their nine-bedroom residence to ensure their kids' safety. Sheriff David Morgan said the intruders were bent on robbery. But he also hinted at further twists, saying authorities were looking for additional accomplices and that other motives were likely to emerge. As he put it, the case was a "humdinger" that could have been lifted from a Hollywood script.
One thing that was clear was that the Billingses—who had been married 18 years and owned a variety of local businesses, including a finance company—had been remarkably generous with their wealth and affections. Several of the children they adopted suffered from autism or Down syndrome. As for the future of the children, Melanie's birth daughter Ashley Markham, 26, said in a statement that the family would remain together and that the grown children would continue her parents' work. "Our mom and dad only had love in their lives," she said. "They had a calling to adopt and to provide love to children that most did not see as normal.... Mom and Dad will give us the strength to make it through the hard times."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!