Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- SNEAK PEEK: Inside a Lady Antebellum Star's Nashville Home
- Read the Cover Story: Prince Harry: Finding My Purpose
- Father of Murdered Louisiana Teen Says He Felt Suspected Killer – the Boyfriend of his Ex – was 'Not Right'
- Who Is Andrew Kornfeld? Pre-Med Student from Addiction Treatment Program Called 911 After Finding Prince Dead
- You Can't Always Get What You Want: The Rolling Stones Are the Latest to Pull the Plug On Trump's Rally Music
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 06, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 1
Neda's Story An Iranian Martyr
Her Murder Captured on Video, a Young Woman in Tehran Becomes the Face of Protest
Relatively little is known about Neda—she now only needs one name. In school she studied Islamic philosophy, had worked at a travel agency and loved to sing. Her music teacher told the Los Angeles Times that Neda was at the demonstration when she got stuck in traffic. She got out of the car and was killed as she stood there. "Without her throwing a rock or anything, they shot her," said the teacher. The BBC broadcast an interview with a young man, identified as Kasamin Makan, who said he was her fiancé. Makan said that Neda was not particularly political. All the same, said Makan, she was a patriot and an idealist. "She was just in love with her country," he said.
Ever since her death, protesters have carried her portrait during confrontations with Iranian security forces, hailing her as an innocent victim sacrificed to an oppressive regime. And the images of her death have been played over and over. As her fiancé said, "She was a young woman, but gave a big lesson to everybody....Neda just wanted freedom for everybody."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!