Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim and Rob Kardashian Send Loving Messages to Bruce Jenner
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Laverne Cox Congratulates Bruce Jenner: 'It Is Always Brave to Stand in One's Truth'
- Mark Wahlberg Makes a $250,000 Bet with Diddy on the Mayweather vs. Pacquaio Fight
- It's a Girl for Owain Yeoman
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 31, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 9
She Gives Kids Free Books
As a child Jennifer Frances loved opening the mailbox to find books sent by her grandma in Massachusetts. "When you open a book, you open a whole new world," she says. Sadly, her grandmother Bess O'Keefe died in 1992, while Jennifer was in college. But a decade later, stuck in a job managing apartments, Jennifer decided to turn her fond recollections of Nana's books into new memories for kids today.
Since 2002 she's shared nearly 200,000 such memories. She cashed out a 401K account, bought a used van that she dubbed Bess the Book Bus and began visiting libraries and Boys & Girls Clubs to let each child pick several books. This summer, loaded with kids' titles (mostly donated by Superpages.com), she has expanded her route to 35 states. Jennifer, who has two buses, funds her program with donations and waitressing. Recently one young recipient told her, "You're going to give a lot of kids a book habit." And that, says Jennifer, "sums up my mission statement better than anything."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!