Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Madonna Surprises 400 Fans at 25th Anniversary Screening of Madonna: Truth or Dare in N.Y.C.
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Audrina Patridge Introduces Fans to Daughter Kirra – See the Adorable Family Photo!
- Prince's Paisley Park to Be Turned Into Museum – Will Open to the Public on Oct. 6
- Dorinda Medley Claims Luann de Lesseps' Fiancé Asked Medley to Help Cover Up His Indiscretion: 'I'm Not Going to Lie for Them'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 31, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 9
She Gives Kids Free Books
As a child Jennifer Frances loved opening the mailbox to find books sent by her grandma in Massachusetts. "When you open a book, you open a whole new world," she says. Sadly, her grandmother Bess O'Keefe died in 1992, while Jennifer was in college. But a decade later, stuck in a job managing apartments, Jennifer decided to turn her fond recollections of Nana's books into new memories for kids today.
Since 2002 she's shared nearly 200,000 such memories. She cashed out a 401K account, bought a used van that she dubbed Bess the Book Bus and began visiting libraries and Boys & Girls Clubs to let each child pick several books. This summer, loaded with kids' titles (mostly donated by Superpages.com), she has expanded her route to 35 states. Jennifer, who has two buses, funds her program with donations and waitressing. Recently one young recipient told her, "You're going to give a lot of kids a book habit." And that, says Jennifer, "sums up my mission statement better than anything."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!