Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 24, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 8
Gwyneth Paltrow & Mario Batali's ...
DINNER FOR FOUR UNDER $10
The Italian chef and author shares his recipe for his pal's go-to summertime dish
• 5 very ripe beefsteak tomatoes, plus 1 cut into ¼-in. cubes set aside
• 2 large English cucumbers, plus 1 cut into ¼-in. cubes set aside
• 2 red bell peppers, plus 1 cut into ¼-in. cubes set aside
• 2 jalapeños, seeded and stemmed
• 1 small red onion, plus 1 cut into ¼-in. dice set aside
• 2 slices day-old white bread, plus 3 slices cut into ½-in. croutons and toasted in extra virgin olive oil in pan until deep golden brown
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 cup ice plus ½ cup water
• 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle
• Salt and pepper
1. Core and seed tomatoes. Peel and seed cucumbers. Stem and seed the peppers. Tear two slices of bread into pieces. Combine vegetables, bread and liquids in food processor and process until almost smooth; season with salt and ground pepper.
2. Pour soup into a pitcher, cover and refrigerate until very cold. Toast remaining bread in the oven with olive oil to get deep golden brown croutons. Place croutons, bell peppers and cucumber garnishes in small bowls and refrigerate. When ready to enjoy, stir soup well. Serve in shallow bowls with garnish bowls on the side and drizzle each serving with a little more extra virgin olive oil.
Batali and Paltrow's book, Spain ... A Culinary Road Trip, is in stores now
PARTY LIKE A MAD MAN
Here's how to throw a cocktail party worthy of TV's swankiest drama
WHAT TO SERVE
• Propmaster Gay Perello—who helps keep the show's '60s vibe true to life—suggests serving Swedish meatballs, stuffed mushrooms and salami and olives on toothpicks. "Always garnish with curly parsley!" she adds.
• As for your bar, Perello recommends stocking it with bourbon for Manhattans, vodka for gimlets and martinis, and rye for Don Draper's poison: the Old Fashioned. "It's a successful man's drink," says star Jon Hamm. "They're delicious."
Estelle Square Glass Decanter, $51.99; cooking.com. PEOPLE readers receive a 15% discount by entering the coupon code GREATIDEAS at checkout.
• 1 oz. lime juice
• 6 torn mint leaves
• 1 tsp. powdered sugar
• 1½ oz. gin
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with mint leaves.
• 2 oz. rye whiskey
• 1 dash bitters
• 1 whole sugar cube
• 1 tsp. water
Combine sugar, bitters and water in a tumbler. Muddle well, add rye and a twist.
Season 3 of Mad Men premieres Aug. 16 on AMC.
Molly Sims ...
INSIDE MY HOME
For the model and actress, creating a chic environment is all about the little things
1 MIX IT UP
"My bathroom is pretty modern," says the actress. "So I love adding vintage-inspired accessories to warm it up." Glass Apothecary Jar, $10.99; save-on-crafts.com
2 LIGHT TOUCH
"This reminds me of my heirlooms from Kentucky," says Sims of the candleholder. She displays them in groups all around her house. Juice Glass Votive, $10; anthropologie.com
3 FLOWER POWER
"These vases have a handblown vibe," says Perera. "We place them on Molly's coffee table, on the mantel, wherever!" Recycled Balloon Glass Vases, $39; vivaterra.com
The Top Design judge's favorite decor trend? "I'm mad for all things yellow!" he says. "It's so versatile: A lemon yellow is totally Go-Go, a soft buttery yellow is Park Avenue elegant, and mustard can add that vintage note to any room." The hue also suits his personal philosophy: "You should be completely immoderate at home."
"Yellow is chic and uplifting," says Adler. Stripes Dinner Plate, $12; jonathanadler.com
"Pillows are a thrifty decorator's best friend," says Adler. Banana Pillow, $98; jonathanadler.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Amy Elisa Keith,
- Suzanne Zuckerman,
- with Joyce Huang,
- Jeffrey Slonim,
- Esther Zuckerman.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!