- Acquaintance of Germanwings Co-Pilot: 'He Seemed So Normal'
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- Watch Members of Congress Read Mean Tweets About Themselves (VIDEO)
- Hope Solo Opens Up About Why She Went to Therapy
- What Was Molly Ringwald's Most Embarrassing Moment While Filming The Breakfast Club?
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- September 21, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 12
Catching Up with Mary J. Blige
The R&B Queen on Acting for Tyler Perry, the Oddballs on Twitter and Keeping Her Husband Happy
"I drew from that place in my life when I didn't need or want anyone," Blige says of her alcoholic atheist Tonya in Perry's film I Can Do Bad All by Myself. She'd also love to make over Perry's belligerent granny Madea: "I'd color that hair and do a sheer lipstick. And flowery clothes are so grandma! I'd give her more big-girl chic."
HER MARRIAGE SECRET
"The key is praying," says Blige, 38, who's been with husband Kendu Isaacs, 41, for five years. "And having a fair system: You don't nag me, I won't nag you."
MUSIC SHE'S INTO NOW
"Adele's voice is sick," says Blige. She's also honing her upcoming album, which says, "If you need to cry or scream, do it," explains the singer, cohosting a Sept. 16 Gucci Fashion Week bash for her Foundation for Women Now to help at-risk females. "You're stronger now. You won't let anyone walk all over you."
TWITS ON TWITTER
She follows Oprah, Sean "Diddy" Combs and Jeremy Piven, but she's baffled by "imposters [who say,] 'I'm the real Mary J. Blige.' I want to say, 'No, you're not!' It's weird."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!