Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Teen Dies in High-Speed Car Chase 2 Years After Receiving Controversial Heart Transplant
- Read the Cover Story: Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Secret Health Crisis
- Barely Famous Sneak Peek: Courteney Cox Steals Erin Foster's Socks
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Spend Family Spring Break Together
- Robert Pattinson and FKA twigs Are Engaged!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 21, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 12
Cheering on Disabled Girls
Sarah Cronk, 16
On an afternoon in late August, shouts of "Fight blue, fight gray!" fill the Pleasant Valley High School cafeteria. There, 10 developmentally disabled girls in T-shirts and shorts, ages 8 to 15, keep eyes fixed on cheerleaders Sarah Herr and Sarah Cronk, who clap out a beat. "Great job, guys!" Herr says.
The Spartan Sparkles (spartansparkles.com) came into being a year ago, after Herr and Cronk led a Special Olympics cheering clinic and, Herr says, "wanted to do something more permanent." Now, twice a week, under the guidance of coach Pam Cinadr, they and fellow varsity squad members teach high kicks, cartwheels and pyramid formations—which the Sparkles perform at home football and basketball games to a roaring crowd. "They pump us up," says offensive lineman Kurtis Pfitzenmaier, 18.
The Sparkles' success on the sidelines—and the friendships they've formed with the varsity girls—have produced some big changes. "She wasn't very outgoing before," says Greg Dwyer, whose daughter Katie, 12, has an autism-spectrum disorder. "Now, she's full of confidence." Says Katie: "I love being part of a team. Cheerleaders are cool, so we're cool."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!