Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Olympic Swimmer Matt Grevers Has His Eye on the Prize for Rio: Winning Is 'the Best Feeling in the World'
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- 7 Summer-Ready Crochet Styles to Buy Right Now
- Katherine Heigl Says Her First Pregnancy Is 'Unexpected But Thrilling': I Didn't Know If It Was 'in the Cards for Us'
- WATCH: Adele Burps in Fan's Face at Glastonbury – and Blames It on a 'Dirty Burger'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 14, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 24
After Turning Down Over $100,000 and Battling Two Years in Court, a Denver Woman Wins Custody of Her Pups
The move set off a two-year war, adding Richard, 42, a bank exec, and Peggy, 37, to what is, according to Animal Legal Defense Fund founder Joyce Tischler, a rising number of exes fighting for pet custody. "At first the usual response was to treat [pets] as personal property," says Tischler. "There's been a change in attitude."
After Peggy took the two purebreds (each worth $1,800), Richard hired an attorney called "the F. Lee Bailey of dog law" and won a court order to fly them home. Peggy would spend $25,000 in legal fees, plus the cost of 23 trips to New Jersey, yet when Richard offered her more than $100,000 to walk away, she turned it down.
On Nov. 20 a N.J. judge ordered the dogs returned to her after she proved she had been their primary owner. "He was good to the dogs," Peggy says of her ex. "But that doesn't make them his." (Richard Higgs refused to comment.) Now Peggy and new husband C.J. Hummel are bonding with Barkley, 6, and Willis, 5. "Driving home with them, C.J. said, 'Look, we're a family,'" she says. "It made me cry."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!