Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jennifer Lawrence Slams Gender Wage Gap in Candid, Scathing Essay: 'I'm Over Trying to Find the "Adorable" Way to State My Opinion'
- Read the Cover Story: How Blake Shelton Is Moving On After Split
- This Is How Lily-Rose Depp and Mom Vanessa Paradis Do Black Tie
- Dancing with the Stars: What Is Alek Skarlatos and Emma Slater's Dream Date?
- Bindi Irwin on DWTS Host Tom Bergeron Losing His Dad: It's a 'Tough Club to Be in'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 14, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 24
After Turning Down Over $100,000 and Battling Two Years in Court, a Denver Woman Wins Custody of Her Pups
The move set off a two-year war, adding Richard, 42, a bank exec, and Peggy, 37, to what is, according to Animal Legal Defense Fund founder Joyce Tischler, a rising number of exes fighting for pet custody. "At first the usual response was to treat [pets] as personal property," says Tischler. "There's been a change in attitude."
After Peggy took the two purebreds (each worth $1,800), Richard hired an attorney called "the F. Lee Bailey of dog law" and won a court order to fly them home. Peggy would spend $25,000 in legal fees, plus the cost of 23 trips to New Jersey, yet when Richard offered her more than $100,000 to walk away, she turned it down.
On Nov. 20 a N.J. judge ordered the dogs returned to her after she proved she had been their primary owner. "He was good to the dogs," Peggy says of her ex. "But that doesn't make them his." (Richard Higgs refused to comment.) Now Peggy and new husband C.J. Hummel are bonding with Barkley, 6, and Willis, 5. "Driving home with them, C.J. said, 'Look, we're a family,'" she says. "It made me cry."
October 10, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!