- Italian Astronaut Wears Star Trek Uniform in Space
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 13- Apr. 19, 2015
- A Kaitlyn-Britt Showdown? A Motorized Cupake? New Bachelorette Promo Is Nuts (VIDEO)
- What Made Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson's 'Connection Even Stronger' on DWTS
- Cissy Houston: Bobbi Kristina Brown Has 'Irreversible Brain Damage' and 'Remains Unresponsive'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
Jo Gartin's Elegant (and Easy!) Dinner Party
With Herb-Infused Cocktails and Eco-Friendly Decor, the Celebrity Event Planner Shares Her Tips for Hosting An Evening with a Fresh and Modern Feel
APPETIZERS IN LESS THAN 30 MINUTES
1½ lbs. fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus ¼ cup for coating bread slices
1 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Juice of half a lemon (about 1 tbsp.)
1 tsp. honey
1 French baguette or Italian bread
1. Combine diced tomatoes, 1 tbsp. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped basil leaves, salt, pepper, lemon juice and honey in a bowl. Let sit.
2. Slice the baguette on the diagonal into ½-in.-thick slices. Using a pastry brush, coat one side of each slice with olive oil. Working in batches, place slices oil side down in toaster oven and lightly toast.
3. To assemble: Place toasted bread slices on serving platter oil side up. Spoon some tomato mixture on each one and serve immediately.
2 lbs. ground beef
½ cup onion, finely diced
4 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup bread crumbs, plain or seasoned
1 tbsp. smooth peanut butter
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, onions, 2 tbsp. olive oil, bread crumbs, peanut butter, salt and pepper.
2. Using a teaspoon, form 24 small meatballs.
3. Heat remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook meatballs for about 10 minutes, turning frequently to brown on all sides. Serve with Dijon mustard mixed with a little brown sugar.
Gartin suggests serving an assortment of your favorite cheeses as the first course before dinner begins. "The variety makes for great conversation as guests all start to share slivers," she says.
Buy six types of cheese and place three kinds on either side of the buffet table for guests to sample. "You don't have to buy rare cheeses," says Gartin, who loves goat cheese and Brie. "It can be done affordably."
Pair the cheeses with nuts ("candied pecans are my favorite") or "something fresh" like figs.
MAKE IT PERSONAL AND PLAYFUL
Gartin suggests adding crayons to each place setting (a nostalgic touch Spelling loves) and using kraft paper as the table runner so friends can doodle over dinner.
A HEARTY VEGETARIAN OPTION
BUTTER SAGE PENNE WITH SPINACH
36 oz. whole-wheat penne (approximately 2 boxes)
1 cup sage leaves
1/3 cup butter
1 tbsp. agave nectar (or honey)
3 cups baby spinach
2 tbsp. milk or fresh cream
Salt and lemon (or black) pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Boil penne. Wash and dry the sage leaves. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the sage. Cook very gently over a low flame, taking care not to let the butter burn.
2. Add the agave nectar (or honey), washed baby spinach and cooked, drained pasta. Stir on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add fresh cream, salt and lemon pepper to taste; serve and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Don't forget dessert!
CARAMEL APPLE CHEESECAKE
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 8 cookie sheets)
3 tbsp. melted butter
1¾ cups sugar
½ cup sour cream
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
3 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
4 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp. water
½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. half-and-half
1¾ cups chopped and peeled Granny Smith apples (about 8 oz.)
Dash of nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Make crust: Combine the crumbs and melted butter in a bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Press mixture lightly into bottom of a 9"x 9"x 2" pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
3. Make filling: Place 1¾ cups sugar and next 7 ingredients in processor (or blender); process until smooth. Add eggs one at a time; process until blended. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Place pan in a large roasting pan; add hot water to larger pan to a depth of 1 inch.
4. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until cheesecake center barely moves when pan is touched. Remove from oven; let stand in water bath 10 minutes. Run a knife around outside edge of cheesecake. Remove pan from water bath; cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
4. Prepare topping: Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tbsp. water and lemon juice in a small, heavy saucepan; cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Cook 4 minutes or until golden (do not stir). Remove from heat. Add butter to pan; gently stir until butter melts. Stir in half-and-half. Cool slightly.
5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Chop apples into small cubes. Add apple cubes to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in sugar mixture and nutmeg. Cook until juices evaporate and mixture starts to thicken. Let cool. Cut cake into 16 squares or 32 bars. Top each piece with a small amount of apples.
Great to sip on!
2 oz. gin
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1½ tbsp. simple syrup*
1 fresh basil leaf, slivered
Combine gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, basil leaves and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Shake well and strain into a glass. Makes 1 drink.
*To make simple syrup, mix 1 part sugar with 1 part boiling water. Stir until sugar dissolves and cool.
Along with Italian sodas and wine, this cocktail—which Gartin served at Fisher's baby shower—makes for a perfect dinner drink.
CREATE A LUSH TABLE
Courteney Cox Arquette
For her close friend, Gartin used fresh herbs and plants purchased at a local nursery as decor for a private bash.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!