Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 5 Killed as 2 Small Planes Collide Midair in Alaska: Report
- Read the Cover Story: Rob Kardashian & Blac Chyna: How I Finally Found Happiness
- Architect and Contractor in Christmas Day House Fire That Killed 5 Agree to Pay $1.2 Million
- US Open Star Nick Kyrgios Would Rather Be Playing Basketball (or Pokemon Go): 'I Don’t Love This Sport'
- Child Services Launch Investigation Into Anthony Weiner's Parenting of Son Amid Sexting Scandal: Report
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 21, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 25
O Christmas Tree! a Family Gives Back
It was Christmas 2006, and the Garricks had celebrated the holiday early so they could take a trip. They were ready to toss their tree when their babysitter told them of a family who couldn't afford a Christmas fir of their own. The Garricks passed along the tree but, Lainie says, "we realized there was more we could do."
And so was born a family tradition. For the past three years, Mom, Dad, Jonathan, 15, Victoria, 12, and William, 11, have set up on a lot in hard-hit Redwood City and given away 500 Christmas trees to families in need. George, 56, an Internet businessman, foots the $40,000 bill for the Noble firs from an Oregon farm, along with lights and ornaments. With family and friends, he saws the trees down, loads them and sometimes even delivers them. "This makes a real difference in hard times," says Teri Chin, director of the community center that helps with the giveaway.
Just ask Denise Bacchi, 49, who recently lost her temporary office job but who joyfully brought home a tree for herself and her 11-year-old son Andrew Dec. 5: "I can't say how much this raises my spirits."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!