Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Prince Harry's Invictus Games Help His Military 'Brothers and Sisters' Heal: 'We Are His Community'
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Dad Alive
- I Hit the Catwalk with Kendall Jenner and Cara Delevingne's Wax Figures: Here's What Happened
- Every Real Housewives Vacation Destination Ever, Ranked by Most Dramatic Moment
- 3 Couples Recount Their Hilarious and Heartfelt 'How We Met' Stories
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 21, 2009
- Vol. 72
- No. 25
O Christmas Tree! a Family Gives Back
It was Christmas 2006, and the Garricks had celebrated the holiday early so they could take a trip. They were ready to toss their tree when their babysitter told them of a family who couldn't afford a Christmas fir of their own. The Garricks passed along the tree but, Lainie says, "we realized there was more we could do."
And so was born a family tradition. For the past three years, Mom, Dad, Jonathan, 15, Victoria, 12, and William, 11, have set up on a lot in hard-hit Redwood City and given away 500 Christmas trees to families in need. George, 56, an Internet businessman, foots the $40,000 bill for the Noble firs from an Oregon farm, along with lights and ornaments. With family and friends, he saws the trees down, loads them and sometimes even delivers them. "This makes a real difference in hard times," says Teri Chin, director of the community center that helps with the giveaway.
Just ask Denise Bacchi, 49, who recently lost her temporary office job but who joyfully brought home a tree for herself and her 11-year-old son Andrew Dec. 5: "I can't say how much this raises my spirits."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!