- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Fergie Releases Hot New Track 'M.I.L.F. $' – Listen Here!
- Nation's Oldest Park Ranger, 94, Robbed and Beaten in Her California Home
- FROM TIME: Cinemark Attorneys Want Aurora Shooting Victims to Cover $700,000 in Legal Fees
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
5 Most Wanted Tex-Mex Recipes
Give Dinner a Southwestern Flair with These Top-Rated Dishes from Myrecipes.com
CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Hands-on time: 10 min.
Total time: 45 min.
2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomato and green chilies, divided
2½ cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
5 green onions, thinly sliced
1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
8 (10-in.) flour tortillas
1 cup (4-oz.) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
Garnish: sliced green onions
1. Preheat oven to 350. Stir together ¼ cup diced tomato and green chilies, chicken, cream cheese and green onions. Stir together remaining diced tomato and green chilies and sour cream; set aside.
2. Wrap tortillas in paper towels; microwave on high 15 seconds or until warm.
3. Arrange chicken mixture evenly down center of tortillas; roll up and place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-in. baking dish.
4. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and pour sour cream mixture over enchiladas; top with cheese. Bake 10 more minutes; let stand 15 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
BAKED CHILES RELLENOS
Hands-on time: 20 min.
Total time: 1 hr., 10 min.
8 large poblano peppers
¾ lb. fresh uncooked chorizo sausage
1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
12 large eggs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Broil poblano peppers on an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet, 5 inches from heat, 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered. Place peppers in a zip-top freezer bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers; remove stem ends and seeds. Place peppers on paper towels to dry.
2. Remove sausage casing; brown chorizo in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes or until meat crumbles and is thoroughly cooked.
3. Preheat oven to 375º. Combine chorizo, cotija or queso fresco, and oregano; spoon mixture evenly into cavity of each pepper. Place stuffed peppers in a lightly greased 11- x 7-in. baking dish.
4. Whisk eggs until lightly beaten; whisk in flour, baking powder and salt. Sprinkle peppers with half the shredded cheese; pour egg mixture over peppers and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until eggs are set but still soft and just beginning to brown.
ALMOND-CRUSTED INDIVIDUAL FLANS
Hands-on time: 20 min.
Total time: 1 hr.
2/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1¾ cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Garnish: fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cook sugar in a heavy saucepan or a cast-iron skillet over low heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sugar caramelizes. Pour mixture into 8 (6-oz.) ramekins. (Mixture will harden and may crack as it cools.)
2. Combine eggs, almonds and next 3 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour mixture over caramelized sugar. Cover each ramekin with aluminum foil; place in a 13- x 9- x 2-in. baking pan. Add hot water to pan to depth of 1 inch.
3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cups from water; uncover and cool on a wire rack. Loosen edges of custard with a spatula; cover and chill 1 hour. Invert onto plates. Garnish, if desired.
It's a Dip!
FIESTA APPETIZER CHEESECAKE
Makes: 25 appetizer servings
Hands-on time: 30 min.
Total time: 10 hrs.
1½ cups finely crushed tortilla chips
¼ cup butter, melted
2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
2½ cups (10 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chilies, drained
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (8-oz.) carton sour cream
Garnishes: chopped green, red and yellow bell peppers; chopped green onions; shredded cheddar cheese; sliced ripe olives
Tortilla chips or crackers
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Stir together tortilla chips and butter in large bowl. Press mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 15 minutes; cool completely on a wire rack.
3. Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in shredded cheese, chilies and ground red pepper. Pour cream cheese mixture over tortilla crust. Bake 30 minutes or until center is almost set.
4. Gently run a knife around cheesecake edges to release from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
5. Remove sides of pan. Spread sour cream over top of cheese-cake. Garnish, if desired. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
Hands-on time: 13 min.
Total time: 35 min.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
¾ cup red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (7-oz.) package cornbread mix
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Saute ground beef, onion, red bell pepper and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Add chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, tomatoes and kidney beans; cook 3 minutes. Spoon beef mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-in. baking dish. Set aside.
3. Stir together cornbread mix and cheese in a large mixing bowl; add egg and milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter over beef mixture.
4. Bake 18 minutes or until topping is golden.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!