Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Bryan Cranston, Susan Lucci and More React to All My Children Creator Agnes Nixon's Death
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Donald Trump on Alicia Machado's Miss Universe Reign: 'I Saved Her Job'
- José Fernández's Pregnant Girlfriend Maria Arias Makes First Public Appearance Since His Death at Memorial Service
- Utah Man Allegedly Held Teen in Shed For Six Weeks, Forcing Her to Perform Sex Acts for Food and Water
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 01, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 8
Kevin Smith Too Fat to Fly!
The 'Humiliated' Director Takes on Southwest Airlines After Getting the Boot from a Flight Because of His Size
Southwest first responded by offering Smith a $100 travel voucher (which he refused) and a statement that "our pilots are responsible for the safety and comfort of all customers . . . and therefore made the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight." The airline's policy says passengers must be able to lower their armrests; Smith says he could.
By the evening of Feb. 15, Smith wrote online that he received in a phone call "a serious mea culpa . . . from an actual individual," a Southwest VP of communications, Linda Rutherford. "Linda told me that, before I got anywhere near the plane . . . they were having a space issue onboard with another passenger who'd purchased two seats." But by now Smith saw the problem as bigger than just his ejection. On the flight that finally took him home, Smith settled into a window seat (next to an empty seat he'd purchased). He watched as a flight attendant told a heavy woman to consider buying two seats in the future. "My heart broke for her. This ain't about me anymore. Do you know how much it sucks to be fat? There's no reason to make that person's burden worse. I just want them to change their policy. And stop insulting people."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!