Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender Open Up About Their Private Off-Screen Romance
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH: Adrienne Bailon Dishes on Her 'Magical' Engagement to Israel Houghton: 'He Is Everything I Wanted and More'
- #NationalDogDay: See the Celebrity Love Notes to Their Fur Babies
- Drake Surprises Rihanna with a Billboard to Congratulate Her on Receiving Video Vanguard Award
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 01, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 8
A Mom Finds Homes for Down Syndrome Kids
Andrea Faris Roberts figured her new son, born in April 2002, got his almond-shaped eyes from her husband. Then the doctor broke the news: Reece had Down syndrome. "I couldn't stop crying," says Andrea, whose prenatal tests were normal. "I thought, 'What's tomorrow going to be like?'"
The answer: Reece has not only enriched his parents' lives but inspired his mom to save Down syndrome kids around the world. Researching her son's condition, Andrea learned that in many countries, such babies are often abandoned and left in orphanages.
Launching Reece's Rainbow in 2004, the former account manager wrote grant applications and networked with adoption agencies, ultimately raising $500,000 to fund adoptions of 250 children from Russia, China, Mexico and elsewhere. "Without Andrea's program," says Dr. Jane Aronson, head of the Worldwide Orphans Foundation, "[many of] these children would die."
And parents like John and Charissa Urban of Owasso, Okla., wouldn't know the love of Ava, now 5, adopted from Ukraine in 2008. Weighing 19 lbs. and unable to roll over at age 3, today Ava gets around with a walker, cheered on by her four siblings. "She's the center of our family," Charissa says. "We're so grateful."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!