Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Tyga and Kylie Jenner Party at Coachella with Khloé Kardashian and Kendall Jenner
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- George and Amal Clooney Laugh It Up on the Set of Money Monster
- Who's Miranda Lambert's Dream Honky Tonk Date?
- The Two Mainstream Diet Plans That Actually Work, According to Science
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 22, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 7
A Nun's Haven for the Disabled
Sister Rosemary Connelly never forgot how her mentally handicapped nephew Brian was placed in a facility far from home because no services existed nearby. So when the Chicago Archdiocese asked her to run a home for developmentally disabled children in 1969, the first thing she resolved to do: stop shipping kids off to state institutions after age 6. "I decided," she said, "we'd keep them."
From that day on Sister Rosemary, the daughter of an Irish pub owner, transformed Misericordia Heart of Mercy (misericordia.com), lobbying the Archdiocese and politicians to fund her vision. Today Misericordia offers a lifetime home to 550 residents, offering art, computer and music classes, and jobs in a restaurant and bakery. David Axelrod, a senior White House adviser, whose daughter Lauren, 28, suffered brain damage from childhood epilepsy and lives there, says, "Her life is very full—every day is a good day."
No one's more grateful than Terry Morrissey, 45, born with a genetic disorder and a Misericordia resident from infancy. "I have my mom and dad," he says, "but this place is family. Sister Rosemary is wonderful."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!