Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gay Talese Says He Will Promote The Voyeur's Motel Despite Questioning Source's Credibility
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Lil' Kim on Having to Cancel Her Essence Fest Performance: "I'm So Disappointed"
- Lindsay Lohan Will Turn on Christmas Lights in U.K. City After Tweeting 'Offensive' Message About Brexit
- Got 'M.I.LF.'? Fergie Recruits Kim Kardashian, Chrissy Teigen, Ciara and More for New Music Video
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 17, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 19
Jay and Erica Mcgraw Finally Answer Dr. Phil and Robin's Plea for a Grandchild. Is There Any Chance the TV Psychologist Won't Spoil Baby Avery? Get Real!
March 18, 2010
6 lbs. 6 oz.
No one has ever accused Dr. Phil McGraw's brood of beating around the bush. So it was no big surprise to son Jay that when he brought his future wife, Erica, to meet his parents, Phil and Robin, in August 2004, "one of the first questions my mom asked her was about grandkids," he laughs. Adds Erica: "The pressure was on from day one. She said, 'Go home and practice!'"
Eventually, practice made perfect. On March 18, Jay, 30, an executive producer on the talk show The Doctors, and Erica, 32, a former model, gave the McGraws their first grandchild, Avery Elizabeth McGraw. The tough-loving TV psychologist, 59, was with Robin, 56, in the waiting room of the Los Angeles hospital when Avery arrived-and was immediately wrapped around her delicate little fingers. "His heart just melted when he picked her up," says Erica. Admits Phil: "We have every intention of spoiling that child beyond reason."
The pampering is well under way. Phil was the first family member to buy a gift for Avery-a romper-and Robin has a nursery set up in their L.A. home, just 10 minutes away. There is, however, one thing the Dr. Phil host surprisingly won't be giving to Jay and Erica: advice. "Instead they've given us support and said, 'You know what you're doing,'" says Erica. "I can't thank them enough." In return, Phil asks just one thing: "I'll let Avery decide what to call me," he says. "As long as it's not Dr. Phil."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!