Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian Calls Rob 'Pathetic' in KUWTK Sneak Peek
- Read the Cover Story: Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Secret Health Crisis
- WATCH: R2D2 Comes to Earth to Find True Love
- Watch What Happens When This Woman Tries to Kiss Strangers in Grand Central Station (Video)
- Helen Mirren Has the Best Workout Advice Ever
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 24, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 20
The Top Chef judge and James Beard Award winner for Outstanding Chef serves up a classic
BEST CHEF 2010
GRILLED HANGER STEAK WITH BORDELAISE SAUCE
• 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
• 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 3 cups chopped mushrooms such as cremini
• 1 cup chopped shallots
• 1 bottle dry red wine
• 3 quarts beef stock (semisolid when chilled; from butcher)
• 1 bunch thyme
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 lbs. hanger steak
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms and shallots. Cook, stirring regularly, until vegetables start to brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Add wine and simmer until pan is almost dry, about 25 to 35 minutes. Add stock, reduce heat to medium and simmer, skimming often, until sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, at least 1 hour. Strain sauce; add thyme, salt and pepper. Let steep.
3. Heat a grill on high. Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Grill for about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Plate steaks and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Remove thyme from sauce. Warm sauce over low heat. Slice steak on the bias. Serve with sauce.
PERFECT FOR MEMORIAL DAY!
From Madonna and Demi's coconut creation to Jessica Simpson's margarita, these drinks will add a dash of Hollywood to your holiday!
VITA COCO CAIPIRINHA
Served at Madonna and Demi's Oscar party, L.A.
• 4 wedges lime
• 2 tbsp. sugar
• 1½ oz. cachaca (Brazilian spirit)
• 3 oz. Vita Coco Tangerine Coconut water
Fill an old-fashioned glass with ice. Squeeze lime wedges and toss into glass with sugar. Pour cachaca over the ice cubes. Top off with Vita Coco.Stir gently.
From Kenmare, N.Y.C., co-owned by DJ Paul Sevigny
• 1 ½ oz. Stoli Gala Applik
• ¼ oz. Campari
• 1 oz. pinkgrapefruit juice
• 1 oz. pineapple juice
• ¾ oz. simple syrup
• 3 leaves of basil
Combine ingredients and shake well (do not muddle basil). Serve in a martini glass. Garnish with a basil leaf.
BLUEBERRY POMEGRANATE MARGARITA
Jessica Simpson's fave at Dos Caminos, N.Y.C.
• 1 oz. lowland white tequila (like Herradura)
• ½ oz. triple sec
• 1 lime
• 1 oz. blueberry-pomegranate juice
• 5 fresh blueberries
Combine tequila, triple sec, juice from half a lime and pomegranate juice with ice in cocktail shaker. Shake hard; strain into glass over fresh ice. Garnish with blueberries and lime wheel.
Top Chef Masters host's pick from N.Y.C.'s Macao Trading Co.
• 2 oz. Charbay Meyer Lemon (or any lemon-flavored) vodka
• 1 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
• ½ oz. simple syrup
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
• 1 splash club soda
Pour all ingredients except club soda into a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Top with a splash of club soda.
JONATHAN ADLER ... GET SET FOR SUMMER!
The designer's advice for the season's decor? Sea themes and color!
1. Beige is dead. Color rules.
2. Nautical themes are super in. I can't get enough of anything with a rope, fish or anchor motif.
3. A home should have a bit of levity. We need bold patterns in our lives.
4. Gray is a great base for jolts of color. If you paint a wall gray and put a lemon yellow sofa in front of it, you'll be a happy person.
5. Never say no to a yellow tulip or a Shirley Temple.
For more of Adler's decorating tips, visit MSN.com.
BOX IT UP
White accents create "an instant sense of order," he says. "They're palate cleansers." Turtle Box, $110; jonathanadler.com
"Turquoise is a trend I'm happy to be surfing. And fish just make you want to jump into the sea!" Neptune Dinnerware, $9-$22; jonathan adler.com
Adler calls this table-topper an "irresistible giftable." Whale Candleholder, $45; jonathanadler.com
We Asked ... What's Your Favorite Household Chore?
"Laundry. I love the laundry. It's warm, it's fresh, it's an immediate thing. You get it done-fresh beginning."
"I love doing the dishes. Then I have ammunition. I say (to fiancee Odette Yustman), 'Baby, I did the dishes. Didn't you see?' "
"I like to clean glass surfaces, like windows. Mirrors don't interest me so much because you kind of get a little distracted."
"I'm a little anal compulsive, so I love vacuuming the carpet. When I get to see the symmetric tracks I've made, I feel good about it."
HOT SPOT: NEW ORLEANS
The Big Easy is home to HBO's Treme and scenes from upcoming films like Green Lantern
OLD POINT BAR
Located just minutes by ferry from the French Quarter, this neighborhood hangout was temporarily renamed Broome's Bar for scenes from Ryan Reynolds' upcoming superhero film Green Lantern.
Parker Posey, who's filming the drama Killing Karma, says some of her favorite New Orleans places are thrift stores on Magazine Street, like this vintage clothier where she got some of her character's wardrobe.
TAKE NEW ORLEANS HOME
• Hurricane mix: Re-create the city's popular rum-based drink with this cocktail mix from historic Pat O'Briens bar. $4.50; patobriens.com
• Mother's mug: Get a souvenir from this Business District staple since 1938. $7.50; mothersrestau rant.net
• Beignet mix (right): Make your own French doughnuts. $2.98; cafe dumonde.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Antoinette Y. Coulton,
- Liza Hamm,
- Suzanne Zuckerman,
- with Allison Adato,
- Reagan Alexander,
- Mary S. Park,
- Jeffrey Slonim.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!