- WATCH: Celebrate Garry Marshall's Most Iconic Movies and TV Show with Us
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Busy Philipps on Raising Two Daughters: 'My Greatest Fear' Is One Will Be Sexually Assaulted
- WATCH: Olympian Allyson Felix's Message to Aspiring Female Athletes: 'If You're Passionate About Something, Go After It'
- WATCH AND SHOP: The Hottest Watch of 2016 – with an Exclusive Discount
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- May 24, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 20
An Idaho Heart Surgeon Saves the Ailing Puppy of a Terminally Ill Little Boy
The patient: Max, a 1.2-lb. Yorkshire terrier pup. His owner, Tristan Moulton, 6, suffers from spinal muscular atrophy, a degenerative disease that has left him in a wheelchair, requiring 24-hour care; he's defied doctors' predictions he wouldn't live past 4. His parents, Travis and Melissa, of Victor, Idaho, watched their son's eyes light up as he picked out Max-the runt of the litter-in April. "They bonded at first sight," Melissa says.
But no sooner had they brought Max home than a vet discovered the pup had a potentially fatal heart defect. The vet-Travis' cousin Jason Moulton-reached out through a mutual contact to DeLaRosa, 42, chief of cardiac surgery at Portneuf Medical Center in Pocatello, Idaho, for advice on how to perform the complex corrective surgery. And though he'd never before operated on a canine, "when I heard the story I said, 'I'd love to come down and help,' " DeLaRosa says. "For a boy who'd come so far, I wanted to make sure this puppy lived."
On April 15 DeLaRosa performed the hour-long surgery in Moulton's clinic for free. Today Max is back to barking and fetching and is expected to have a normal Yorkie lifespan of 12 or more years. "Tristan and Max, they've both beaten the odds," Melissa says. "They're two little miracles."
FOR MORE PET NEWS AND PICTURES, VISIT PEOPLEPETS.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!