Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Britney Spears on Embracing Life in Her 30s: 'My 20s Were Horrible!'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Bryan Cranston, Susan Lucci and More React to All My Children Creator Agnes Nixon's Death
- Donald Trump on Alicia Machado's Miss Universe Reign: 'I Saved Her Job'
- José Fernández's Pregnant Girlfriend Maria Arias Makes First Public Appearance Since His Death at Memorial Service
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 21, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 24
A Mom Pays Bills for Sick Children
During the five years her pigtailed little girl Kelly Anne was fighting leukemia, Peggy Dolan all but took up residence in the pediatric ward. But she still thought herself lucky. "My husband had a job, we had insurance, we could afford overnight parking," she recalls. "A lot of kids would lie there alone because their parents didn't have bus fare." In the 33 years since she buried her 6-year-old, Peggy, now a widow, has raised millions-from grant proposals to "Funny Feet Walks"-for the Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund (dolanfund.org). The nonprofit has helped some 18,000 families with sick and disabled kids in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware pay for things insurance doesn't cover-such as travel costs, 24/7 electricity for a ventilator or, in Mike Robinson's case, a wheelchair-accessible van for son Matthew, 14, who has muscular dystrophy. "A lot of people mourning a child would just hide," says Robinson. "Peggy's a miracle."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!